• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Chance to Start Again

Sarnie

Ok, so currently I'm experiencing a 'thing'.

Has anyone else on here had a moment where you are actually mad about having surgery not because of any of the normal reasons (miss fave foods, which you could just normal amounts, etc.) but because you're mad that your body is finally going to look normal but your face is growing older? I feel so mad about it! I'm 42 and my life is half over and for the majority of my life my face was the one thing about me that I didn't mind and actually thought was attractive. Now it seems that over the last two weeks all I can see are the fine lines and wrinkles, the terrible skin texture and that damned hyperpigmentation on my forehead that looks like a smear of dirt. The irony? I've actually had people tell me that I look younger since having surgery and I'm like... wut. It's stupid, and vain, and I've never considered myself to be a vain person but maybe I'm far more concerned about my appearance than I ever thought! I find it very annoying. And it actually is making me mad AF.
I can't say I'm mad about it, but like you I always felt good from the neck up lol and now I've got a bit of a turkey neck that worries me more than anything, I think because you see your face all the time, while the rest of us is hidden away the majority of the time. I'm sure you're just doing what we always do to ourselves, finding faults, we all do it, instead of looking at the positives. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think it is x

Last edited:

Parsnip

We'll always be our worst critics. I'm already noticing fine line previously hidden by fat. I'll take the lines over the fat any day x

OkieGirl

I'm alive!

Just cruising along, really. As of today I've lost 61lbs (4.3st) since surgery which then brings my total since Jan '18 to 96lbs (6.8st). I find it very surreal to think that I've lost that much and it's hard to wrap my head around it! Finally I've gotten to a point where I have to buy new clothes but one pair of jeans I bought is already getting baggy on me and they're meant to be skinny jeans! I've lost track of the NSVs I've experienced.

Getting our new dog Alfie has given me a reason to get up and about in the mornings and to take him for a walk and I just cannot believe how much easier moving is. At least once every walk I find myself in awe of the fact that I'm doing over half a mile in about 20 minutes and I'm not wanting to die! Heck, the other day both me and my husband took the dog out together and he actually had to ask me to slow down. I never thought that would happen in a million years. It's always been me trailing far behind my hubby. I'm still swimming as well and enjoying it, although it was a bit hit and miss over the summer break because trying to do laps with a million splashing kids is nigh on impossible.

Work continues to be bleh, although there is now light at the end of the tunnel and we will have a new vicar come November. I really hope she puts some of these people under her thumb because seriously... some of them are so far over all sorts of lines and they need putting back in their boxes! I'm still working towards getting my NVQ for nail services though. Even if things do start improving once the new vicar starts, I'm just sick of being stuck in an office.

Overall, things are good. :)

Sarnie

I'm alive!

Just cruising along, really. As of today I've lost 61lbs (4.3st) since surgery which then brings my total since Jan '18 to 96lbs (6.8st). I find it very surreal to think that I've lost that much and it's hard to wrap my head around it! Finally I've gotten to a point where I have to buy new clothes but one pair of jeans I bought is already getting baggy on me and they're meant to be skinny jeans! I've lost track of the NSVs I've experienced.

Getting our new dog Alfie has given me a reason to get up and about in the mornings and to take him for a walk and I just cannot believe how much easier moving is. At least once every walk I find myself in awe of the fact that I'm doing over half a mile in about 20 minutes and I'm not wanting to die! Heck, the other day both me and my husband took the dog out together and he actually had to ask me to slow down. I never thought that would happen in a million years. It's always been me trailing far behind my hubby. I'm still swimming as well and enjoying it, although it was a bit hit and miss over the summer break because trying to do laps with a million splashing kids is nigh on impossible.

Work continues to be bleh, although there is now light at the end of the tunnel and we will have a new vicar come November. I really hope she puts some of these people under her thumb because seriously... some of them are so far over all sorts of lines and they need putting back in their boxes! I'm still working towards getting my NVQ for nail services though. Even if things do start improving once the new vicar starts, I'm just sick of being stuck in an office.

Good to hear from you and good to hear you are doing so well. You are definitely kicking the weight loss and all the good things it brings. So happy for you xx

Last edited:

Bling Babe

I'm alive!

Lovely to hear from you, it’s fabulous that all is going so well for you and your reaping the benefits of wls, I hope the new vicar sorts out some of the problems but in the meantime I’m glad all is going well with your NVQ, fantastic weight loss @OkieGirl just brilliant, isn’t it mind blowing though xx

_Victoria_

@OkieGirl omg I just caught up with your diary and I’m so happy for you!! It seems like you’re doing amazingly well and that your recovery was pretty smooth sailing :D try not to get angry about your face looking different, your skin just needs time to snap back! A friend of mine started to look quite old after her surgery and a bit saggy for a while in the face but now she looks younger and better than ever lol

It’s so nice to read you’re doing so well. Your weight loss is amazing so far and you’re looking fantastic! Xx

OkieGirl

Hey all, hope you're good. Things here are going well. Last week I have officially lost 100lbs/7.1st since Jan '18 (65lbs/4.6st since surgery) which is... mind blowing, really. It's hard to believe I was lugging around that much weight. I still have a very long way to go, but I'm chipping away at it. I have my next appointment next Wednesday, so hopefully they'll be pleased about my progress.

Lately I think I've been experiencing the return of hunger. It feels different than before, so I'm not 100% certain that it's genuine hunger. How about the rest of you? Do you have hunger pains again?

Today I went into TK Maxx to see what size they went up to, but I'm still too big. The biggest size I saw was a 24, but the pickings were pretty sorry. I felt weird about it though, like I was an interloper into a world that I didn't belong in, if that makes any sense. I kept waiting for someone to come up to me and tell me to get out because I didn't 'fit'. It's all in my head, but still, I hope that's something I can get over quickly.

The next big challenge will be flying! For Richie and mine's 20th anniversary we're going to go over to Belfast for a few days. The last time I flew I was over 400lbs, so I am kind of both looking forward to and dreading getting on a plane. I'm sure it'll be fine. At the very least, I can now walk so much more easily and further than I could before, so the sightseeing won't be an issue.

Also, two weeks ago I got a new car! There are advantages to having a hubby who works for a car dealership!New Car 3_LI.jpg

Sarnie

Hey all, hope you're good. Things here are going well. Last week I have officially lost 100lbs/7.1st since Jan '18 (65lbs/4.6st since surgery) which is... mind blowing, really. It's hard to believe I was lugging around that much weight. I still have a very long way to go, but I'm chipping away at it. I have my next appointment next Wednesday, so hopefully they'll be pleased about my progress.

Lately I think I've been experiencing the return of hunger. It feels different than before, so I'm not 100% certain that it's genuine hunger. How about the rest of you? Do you have hunger pains again?

Today I went into TK Maxx to see what size they went up to, but I'm still too big. The biggest size I saw was a 24, but the pickings were pretty sorry. I felt weird about it though, like I was an interloper into a world that I didn't belong in, if that makes any sense. I kept waiting for someone to come up to me and tell me to get out because I didn't 'fit'. It's all in my head, but still, I hope that's something I can get over quickly.

The next big challenge will be flying! For Richie and mine's 20th anniversary we're going to go over to Belfast for a few days. The last time I flew I was over 400lbs, so I am kind of both looking forward to and dreading getting on a plane. I'm sure it'll be fine. At the very least, I can now walk so much more easily and further than I could before, so the sightseeing won't be an issue.

Also, two weeks ago I got a new car! There are advantages to having a hubby who works for a car dealership!View attachment 21762
Wow you look fantastic and that smile says it all, that car is wow too!
About the hunger, strangely I've been saying the same this week, when I've been at work even after a couple of hours after lunch I've felt hungry, that's happened about 3 times this week. Someone said to me eat and see if it goes away, then you know if it's head hunger or not, I tried it and it went away, so I think it is genuine hunger, but saying that at other times I've been craving salt and vinegar crisps and been giving in to it, I think it's because nearly everything tastes bland to me now, things just don't taste right.
Good to see you doing so well, I'm sure the plane journey will be fine, like you say a lot of this is on our heads. Happy Anniversary, hope you have a lovely time. x

OkieGirl

About the hunger, strangely I've been saying the same this week, when I've been at work even after a couple of hours after lunch I've felt hungry, that's happened about 3 times this week. Someone said to me eat and see if it goes away, then you know if it's head hunger or not, I tried it and it went away, so I think it is genuine hunger, but saying that at other times I've been craving salt and vinegar crisps and been giving in to it, I think it's because nearly everything tastes bland to me now, things just don't taste right.
This exactly what I'm experiencing. There are times shortly after I've eaten that I feel hungry again and I just question it constantly until I finally have something and most of the time it stops it, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm then terrified that it's just the start of a slippery slope and I'm going to just keep snacking and end up back where I was. :(

I have had some crisps, but by and large I'm keeping away from super bad stuff. Meat and cheese seem to be my go to foods. I don't have anything at all for breakfast now simply because I just don't fancy it. That's not really anything new for me though. I've not a breakfast eater for a long time and so I don't miss it.

I feel you about everything being bland though. Nothing really appeals and when I have those rare moments when I actually fancy something, by the time I'm halfway through preparing it or shortly after starting my meal, I've gone off the idea. This surgery has certainly been both a blessing and a curse. More blessing than curse, thankfully, but still, there are times when I still go ARRRRGH!

Bling Babe

Also, two weeks ago I got a new car! There are advantages to having a hubby who works for a car dealership!View attachment 21762
Fantastic weight loss, your going to just fine on the plane this time, my flight to and from St.Lucia recently was surreal because I was able to curl my knees up on the seat with my body.....mind blowing!!
Your car looks lovely but not as good as you, you look awesome and your going to be shopping in TK Max before you know it x
I’ve never experienced hunger but then again I never did before surgery I just ate because I loved eating all the wrong food, sometimes now I get a feeling that I need to eat, it’s not hunger pangs and happens very rarely, keep some high protein low calorie snacks with you all the time and also try drinking when this feeling strikes.
Keep up the great work xxx

Sarnie

This exactly what I'm experiencing. There are times shortly after I've eaten that I feel hungry again and I just question it constantly until I finally have something and most of the time it stops it, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm then terrified that it's just the start of a slippery slope and I'm going to just keep snacking and end up back where I was. :(

I have had some crisps, but by and large I'm keeping away from super bad stuff. Meat and cheese seem to be my go to foods. I don't have anything at all for breakfast now simply because I just don't fancy it. That's not really anything new for me though. I've not a breakfast eater for a long time and so I don't miss it.

I feel you about everything being bland though. Nothing really appeals and when I have those rare moments when I actually fancy something, by the time I'm halfway through preparing it or shortly after starting my meal, I've gone off the idea. This surgery has certainly been both a blessing and a curse. More blessing than curse, thankfully, but still, there are times when I still go ARRRRGH!
I know hun, I fear the slippery slope too, I'm trying my damnedest to keep myself in check, but it's not easy. I feel like I'm now learning what will and what won't work for me and that is taking time. I've never been a breakfast person either, but I've had to make myself eat it now, because of work, if I don't, I'd be going way too long without food, I make my breakfast and lunches up for the the week, so I've pretty much nailed that, but doing different shifts every day does mess things up, if I had a set pattern I'd find it a lot easier all round. I agree that it's a blessing and a curse at the moment, but I'm sure we will work it out in time 😊 x

Bling Babe

I know hun, I fear the slippery slope too, I'm trying my damnedest to keep myself in check, but it's not easy. I feel like I'm now learning what will and what won't work for me and that is taking time. I've never been a breakfast person either, but I've had to make myself eat it now, because of work, if I don't, I'd be going way too long without food, I make my breakfast and lunches up for the the week, so I've pretty much nailed that, but doing different shifts every day does mess things up, if I had a set pattern I'd find it a lot easier all round. I agree that it's a blessing and a curse at the moment, but I'm sure we will work it out in time 😊 x
I’m thinking it’s always going to be a blessing and a curse....for me at least...I’m petrified of the slippery slope xx

Parsnip