• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so it begins...Kirsty's journey to a sleeve!!

I wonder how many people told beforehand? I don't intend to tell anyone except my husband. I've been thinking about work cover story too as I intend to have 4 weeks off. Any information people can give would be really helpful.

This is a tricky subject, creating a cover story - It will be three years on 9 July since my bypass and only a tiny handful of people know about the Bypass, but everyone knows I lost weight after gastric surgery. I had an internal hernia repaired at the same time so am able to start off about that first and say the surgeon moved my stomach further down my intestine to take pressure off the repair and help me maintain a healthy weight so it doesn't re-occur. I therefore had to allow all the stitching and stapling to heal so couldn't eat solids for several months, and the amount I can eat is reduced due to the stomach being a couple of metres down my small intestine now so it is like pushing food down a hosepipe. I very rarely go straight in using the two words Gastric Bypass as folks really don't understand and immediately ask about my Gastric BAND (which I have not got!). The last time was a couple of weeks ago at my GP where I saw a different doctor to my usual who has supported me since before my WLS - I told him I'd had a Gastric BYPASS and he commented that clearly the BAND had been successful!!!!! I guess what I am saying is that to minimise potential gossip and speculation (yes there will be lots of jealousy, even from some who you thought were close friends - I have lost four of my dearest long-term friends through envy and their not coping with the new me), try to be as open and matter of fact about your WLS as you can be, as you will have enough to cope with physically getting through this and don't need extra stress from defending yourself, which will only lead to fuelling some folks negativity at a time for you which is all about a positive empowered future xxxx

I only told 1sister, my boss and senior at work & 1 friend who had WLS some time ago only because I didn't know how long the process would take or even if I would the surgery in the first place! Once I got the go ahead and doing the LSD I told my family on the Monday then told my work mates on the Tuesday and my last working day was Wednesday and op on Thursday! I did it that was so as not to worry my friends and family and also having people all well meaning, watching everything that went in my mouth and asking endless questions by the time my surgery was due I was my own expert on my surgery and could answer any questions post op a few more know but not all for example on face book as I don't always see all my fb friends but if I did see them I would tell them
At the end of the day you do what is right for you

My husband, my best friend and my boss whom I'm good friends with know. As far as the rest of my work colleagues know I've had surgery but as I'm disabled and had bowel surgery a couple of months before no one's batted an eyelid. I eventually told my mum and mum in law and they both assumed it was my bowels again.
The way I see it, it's no one else's business and I don't want everyone looking at me every time we meet trying to see if I've lost weight or watching what I do or don't eat. Plus a couple of people would be jealous and others have previously expressed views about it being a cheat and an easy option and I just don't need their opinions on my choices :)
Whether you tell people or not all that matters is that you are happy with the decision.

Strangely over time I gently mentioned it to a few people. I think perhaps 10 know now! If I am truly honest it's because it's sort of worked. I was so convinced I would wreck it - and they would all have a 'she didn't even lose with surgery' comment I stayed quiet. For me, I am fairly saddened that it came to wls and that it took that drastic intervention for me to get control of my binge eating disorder. I don't regret it but it's not something I consider is my finest hour even though it's most certainly my bravest hour. To the majority I also said it was a hernia repair which did happen so it's wasn't a lie. In fact I've not lied - I've omitted the whole information - small comfort to me. I answer truthfully if anyone asks if I had a sleeve. Few do! I've also lost a very close friend who did not cope with smaller me :(

Wow thanks everyone for your advice and sharing how u tackled the situation. I think i may tell close family after its done and like you said i know its worked for me. My dad will understand but will not like me taking risks and having surgery as im his princess haha.

On a different note its 3 days to surgery. I havent actually lost any weight since wednesday should i be worried. The first 2 weeks of LSD i lost 13lb but i havent lost any in the last 4 days. Im not cheating or anythin. I only have 1 soup instead of 2 now as i struggle to manage it all i even struggle to manage the milk now an i find myself having 1/2 a pint of milk for breki with a yogurt thn i dont have anythin else till about 6pm. Thn i have to try cram in 1 and a half pints of milk, 2 yogurts and a cup of soup or bovril. Its like i just dont think to have anythin now and when i feel hunger my reaction isnt to eat. Im sat in frankie and bennys as im typing this am my hubby and daughter have jus scoffed a breki which is my fave an it honestly dont bother me. Im jus sipping my coffee.

Anyway surgery wednesday fingers crossed it doesnt get cancelled.

Kirsty xx

You have done so well with losing what you have got shot off so far so celebrate that and keep that off,stick to the plan and all should be well for you take care in the meantime

Thanks, was jus worried case i doing something wrong but im sticking to the plan like u say. Maybe my body has gotten used to the LSD iv been on it 18days now xx

I think that is the case even after surgery you lose weight then like me have weeks of stalling where nothing comes off even if your following the post op rules!

It's deff the dreaded stall .. Your body is raising a flag of suspicion and going into self preserve mode so don't worry .. It will drop again , it has to ..
3 days till your op ! Wow that came round quick didn't it .. Doesn't seem long ask you started your pre op diet and now here you are on the cusp of the op !

Wow! Wednesday!! So excited for you hun. Fingers crossed. Am shifting along on the losers' bench to make space for you. Looking forward to seeing you there xxx

Im gna weigh myself in morning see if iv lost any. Iv been busy all weekend and lots of walking so may of helped. I know its come round so fast i cant believe its jis a few days away. Im so worried they will cancel when i was speaking to bookings while i was waiting for a date she said it took so long cuz there was cancellations to sort out. Jus hope it goes to plan. Will update tomorrow.

Kirsty xx

I've got everything crossed for you x

All the best Kirsty! If my surgery does get moved to this Friday, we could really be surgery buddies:)
Good job so far and good luck xx

Any news Kirsty ? Is it still going ahead Hun ?

I havent been told otherwise so im guessing its still going ahead as planned on wednesday. I weighed myself this morning and iv lost some weight so least i know im still doing everything right. Tomorrow is my last day of LSD and pre op. Wednesday is the start of the new me. People are already noticing iv lost weight which feels great i cant wait to lose all this excess will feel so much better.

Thanks for all ur continued support guys it really helps.

Kirsty xx

Wow, not long to go now, you'll be going through a whole gamut of emotions am sure. Hang on in there and best of luck with it. :)

Well it's early Tuesday morning which means just 1 more sleep,1more step nearer to your new life!!

If you panic at some point today or in the morning just remember it is normal. If you feel rubbish when you come round just keep telling yourself that is normal too and it will pass and pretty quickly. You have done so well with you LRD and I am sure you will use your new tool and run with it.
Good look, we are all rooting for you x

Back