• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

How fabulous Debs, he is a wonderful surgeon, I can only recommend him. My clinical treatment by Mr Khan and his team was excellent. 9 days out from mine and people still can't believe I've had my op. you are in very safe hands with him.
I'm getting excited for you now. X Kim

How fabulous Debs, he is a wonderful surgeon, I can only recommend him. My clinical treatment by Mr Khan and his team was excellent. 9 days out from mine and people still can't believe I've had my op. you are in very safe hands with him. I'm getting excited for you now. X Kim
I am sure he is amazing and many speak highly. I don't know why I thought I'd be getting Mr Mirza. Either ha excellent. 9 days have gone fast! LRD starts soon for me. Hope I can manage it properly x

Debs
Due to the complicated nature of my op there were 4 surgeons at mine, Mr Mirza was one and Mr Khan was another the other 2 came to see me post op but as I was a bit drowsy I don't remember who they were,
I have had my appointments for follow up come through I think its weight management 5th June and Mr Khan 10th June so that will far too soon for you, but you never know as time goes on our paths could cross.
Which LSD are you planning to the milk or the food? As you know I did the milk it was hard but only for a short time.
If you have any burning desire to have something have it now then hopefully the craving for things won't be there it worked for me, but it's perhaps not for everyone. Good luck
Kim x

Debs Due to the complicated nature of my op there were 4 surgeons at mine, Mr Mirza was one and Mr Khan was another the other 2 came to see me post op but as I was a bit drowsy I don't remember who they were, I have had my appointments for follow up come through I think its weight management 5th June and Mr Khan 10th June so that will far too soon for you, but you never know as time goes on our paths could cross. Which LSD are you planning to the milk or the food? As you know I did the milk it was hard but only for a short time. If you have any burning desire to have something have it now then hopefully the craving for things won't be there it worked for me, but it's perhaps not for everyone. Good luck Kim x

I have to do the liver diet thingy for 2 weeks so that would officially start on 5th May. I think I am considering starting it a week early - and for 3 weeks. Not to punish self further obviously - but to ensure liver is as good as I can get it.

Because I take Metformin, Dr Yousaff suggested the food version. That said, the nurse did say as I wasn't diabetic I could try the milk/yogurts if I wished.

I've had too many 'one last time' events as you know from my prior confessions in this thread. I am 4lbs heavier that I was when last saw me so I hoping that will be shifted by being sensible now I have my date.

I am lucky as I am not currently working and thus can work round my body's reaction fairly well if needed.

Strangely whilst the operation should be my biggest fear I am actually more worried about working with the sleeve post op to ensure a good outcome which I can sustain for the rest of my life.

I am just hoping it's not cancelled for that day. My daughter is in her GCSE year and May/June is riddled with her exams and I want my op to go ok so I can get home and offer moral support if nothing else. As I am a lone parent - I have to hope I am not one of the unfortunate people who end up in hospital for weeks. Can't bear the thought!

I hope we can find a clash in our future appointments. Thanks for your kind words and generous best wishes.

Take care :)

Well if my op is on the 20th May I must start pre op on the 5th, but I think I am going to try and start a week early - so April 29th. This means I think I have just eaten my last Sunday Roast with 100% of my stomach capacity - I think the next time I eat a Sunday Roast I will be operating on about 20% stomach capacity and it will be Autumn. That's almost impossible to imagine.

My online surgeon and I (Prof Google) have spent the afternoon in bleakness. My searches with Prof Google - was 'horrendous weight loss surgery - what goes wrong'.

Well that's not the best topic I can tell you for an afternoon of calmness!!!

:-/

Step away from internet!! :) Focus on the positives of surgery. Yes, things can go wrong but only in a small percentage of cases. For me, it was worth the risk of surgery. I had to change and I couldn't do it myself despite years of trying so I was left really with no choice. It's exciting to begin the liver shrinking diet.....this is the beginning of your new life. :) xx

Debs
I like you had put on weight from my last consultation as that was November so I had Christmas, my son getting married and then a week in lanzarote immediately prior to staring the LSD, however I need not have worried as no one mentioned my weight at all when I went in for my op. I did lose a stone in the 3 weeks ( well almost 3 weeks as I didn't get back from hols in time to start) so it was actually 2 days short.
Walsall manor and Mr Khan have an excellent record of success with all bariatric ops, so don't worry about that anymore, that was one thing I wasn't nervous about and as you know I also had a massive hernia that was repaired at same time.
We'll I'm 12 days in now and managing to take liquid, mainly squash coffee and a small amount of soup, I have the fortimel protein drinks and I am managing 1 a day but could have 2 if I wanted. Yes I am tired, but it's early days yet and I never feel hungry, I have managed to watch master chef and not be at all bothered, the food looks fab but I don't want to eat it.
The hospital nurse rang today to see if I was ok, so that was nice, again the clinical care at Walsall really seems good.
Don't worry you will be fab, I did the milk and yoghurt diet, and if I had the choice again I would probably do the food, and as your on metformin it's might be the best option for you, Mr Yousef knows his stuff also, far better than me, so take their advice.
All the best for the next few weeks, keep your chin up and think of the future.
Kim x

Well today's the 2nd day of the liver shrinking diet.

My surgery is the 20th May (I still get excited and terrified when I write that!). Walsall have told me to do the diet for 2 weeks but I thought I'd try and manage it for 3 weeks.

I cannot say I am finding it impossible. But it's a million miles from easy. I am eating the right items for the food diet version of LSD but probably too much I my 'early start week' as I've had an extra piece of fruit today. By the official start date I will not be doing that!

I have pre op for May 15th to re do the swabs and bloods as they are all expired as my pre op was March 9th.

I am excited but terrified.

Day 3 has been very challenging. I have felt very hungry and all consumed that I cannot have anything. I've drunk lots of water and fruit teas and gone for walks - poor dog. However it remains that I've also been a very irritable moody mare. I am digging deep and I want to do this and I am acutely aware of the reasons compliance is essential. But it's tough.

I know many others have done this. I wonder if I will fail before we've even begun.

Attachments

• image-2843184027.jpg
    image-2843184027.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi debs
Sorry to hear that your struggling today, can you have oxo as I found this filling and it helped me through the bad times, also have you had your milk allowance as I found a milky coffee also was a nice change and helped me through.
A couple of nights I went to bed really early with a milky drink and a book, this also helped for me.
If you really can't manage find something low in fat perhaps an extra yoghurt and eat it slowly, this is a LSD and you need to get through to your op, a small stumble along the way will be ok as long as your aware of what you are having and not going over the top, if an extra yoghurt makes you stay on it then have it.
Hope you get through today and I.m sure tomorrow will be better.
Hugs xx Kim

Aww Debs, you can do this! The first few days are really the hardest but once you're into it the momentum builds and then before you know it, op day arrives. Try to get the feelings that you're going to fail out of your mind. You've done something positive by asking for surgery, and you've waited so long, this is your chance of a new healthier life. It's so exciting. :) One thing that kept me on the straight and narrow, pretty much, was the thought of waking up to be told they couldn't do it cause my liver hadn't shrunk. The thought of all that time and money wasted and going through a GA for nothing was mortifying. Keep going and I'm sure in a day or 2 you'll feel much better. :) xx

Day 4. Thanks to you both for your supportive and encouraging comments. It all helps.

I have weighed today and I am 18 stones 6. I've lost 5lbs so even if it's only water there is at least, some downward movement which was the indication the hospital wanted within the pre op diet. It also puts me back to my lowest in the WLS process as I'd gained a couple in my excessive farewell to food out of control for 5 days phase! So I am pleased I started early however much I don't enjoy it!!!

For my 5'7" height my weight to stay in 'healthy BMI weight' is 11 stones 6. So I have 7 stones to lose. Seems like Everest but can only do it one step at a time.

I have to get my head right. It's the hardest thing. Even after all that CBT and therapy I know the demons are still in there and the can sometime sing loudly. Little sods!

I am grateful for the tool that the NHS will generously give me on May 20th but I am going to have to use that post op grace period very well as otherwise I know the demons will have a field day with me.

I am not being negative - I am just acutely aware of my own frailties and keen to ensure I keep them in check.

Just not being able to turn to food for comfort yesterday and the impact of that was enough to make me take the head hunger issue extremely seriously.

Let's see how I cope today!

We'll done debs
I knew you'd get through day 3 and yes the head hunger is a problem but you know where you are going and you will get there, it's a marathon not a sprint, and we all have bumps in the road but like me you've been waiting a long long time and our love affair with food is going to be hard to break, but I know you can do it. I'm going to a party this afternoon and it's going to be hard as there are lots of people who either don't know or don't understand why I had surgery and will keep saying go on have a little bit it it won't hurt you. What they really don't grasp is that regardless of what the food is, I've not been even slightly hungry in the past 18 days since my sleeve, which is fab as I never believed that would happen.
Keep going and you will be fine enjoy the rest of the bank holiday xx kim

Just keep going Debs the finishing line is in sight. Been on my LRD coming up four weeks now, just over one to go! Xx

Just keep going Debs the finishing line is in sight. Been on my LRD coming up four weeks now, just over one to go! Xx

I feel a bit pathetic moaning after 4 and since admiration that you're at 4 weeks moving to 5.

Today's been a little bit easier. Not quite as vile and ratty. Even cooked Sunday lunch for others.

18 days to go. All a bit toooooo real!

Take care everyone and sleep well xx

I had a similar pre op diet and my salvation was bowls of chopped up celery and cucumber with salt on LOL it kept those hunger pangs at bay in the early days.....promise it does get easier after a few days ............somehow your body will adjust :) sending all the luck in the world :) you CAN and WILL do this........... heres to the new life, new you........its so worth it x x x

Saw this quote and thought it was quite apt for me. Hope you get something from it too! Xx

Attachments

• image-1605961409.jpg
    image-1605961409.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 50
Hi Debs,

so glad you've started your final approach ;)

I'm so looking forward to reading about your experiences and successes!

Claire :)

Thank you to all who have commented. I am very flattered that anyone should read my drivel! I am grateful though as my virtual support and on tap advice centre is very, very much appreciated.

It seems to have dropped into some sort of a routine now. I don't think I actually feel stomach hunger. I've eaten enough protein to sink a ship so technically I shouldn't be. That said my head is a tormenting little git and taunts me all day long. All day every day. It's like a relentless noise which drags me to worry about food. I think the effort post surgery to defeat the ruddy head hunger opponent is going to be monumental. Damn it!

So I am into day 6 I guess of my shrink the liver campaign. Today is the last day I've chosen to be of the LRD as tomorrow I have no choice - it's mandatory. I feel mildly virtuous for starting a week earlier but I wanted to prove to myself that I am at least attempting to take control.

Everything is otherwise a little surreal. My first occupational pension pay went in on the 1/5/15. Much reduced from my salary but certainly ok for now with some supplement from my savings until I've got through this surgery and can look for a job. Very strange not being able to say I work. But in a nice way overall.

Anyhow monitor my weight has been started and this is today's scores on the doors!!

Attachments

• image-3851267130.jpg
    image-3851267130.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 49
Blimey! You've done well in a few days.

I reckon you'll better your target..:)

Claire x

Back