• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Delicious-Jax..A diary of waiting for life to start again :)

Hi everyone,
I have just read an article in a newspaper about a woman of 23 stones being refused Bariatric surgery.
I weigh 19.13 and am worried I will be turned down for any surgery when I see consultant at first appointment in 2 days time. What can I do ?

tink1974

Hi, N.Ireland is different from rest of UK, but from what I have read from others on here, each PCT has its own criteria. Normally I think it goes by your BMI plus any co-morbidities you have. I dont know if you are able to get confirmation of what the BMI threshold is for your PCT.
Hope your appt goes well x

My BMI is now 51.2...I would imagine that would defiitely meet any criteria. I do have co-morbities, so am praying to have a decision in my favour...just want my life back :(

tink1974

i will keep my fingers crossed for you. I know how life changing this operation can be. Let us know how you get on x

BrianT

Illegitimis nil carborund
Hi Jax I came under the Croydon PCT and they use the NICE guidelines. For them a BMI over 50 was surgery as a first option 35 - 40 required some sort of weight manangement first and between 40 and 50 with Co-morbidities was also considered as high on the list for Surgery.
You can find your PCT's guidelines if you google your area and PCT Guidelines
Hope this helps and good luck:)

Thanks Brian, hope all goes well for you on Friday?

I come under Lewisham PCT, though have been referred from a consultant at Guy's to Mr.Botha at St.Thomas'...which is Lambeth?
Lewisham resorts to NICE guidelines criteria, which I am trying to find on the Internet.

Last edited:

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Thanks Brian, hope all goes well for you on Friday?

I come under Lewisham PCT, though have been referred from a consultant at Guy's to Mr.Botha at St.Thomas'...which is Lambeth?
Lewisham resorts to NICE guidelines criteria, which I am trying to find on the Internet.

Good Luck, Jax ... hope your PCT decides in your favour xxx :)

Thanks guys, will let you know as soon as I do...am excited and frightened at the same time...what a strange feeling !!!
Roll on Friday morning!

Thanks Brian, seems I do qualify..all depends on surgeons view of course.
Best of luck for tomorrow.....the first day of the rest of your life without a weight problem.

tink1974

seems like u are over the bmi hurdle which knocks a lot of people out of the nhs wls process straight away unfortunately. Good luck with the surgeon x

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Hi everyone,
I have just read an article in a newspaper about a woman of 23 stones being refused Bariatric surgery.
I weigh 19.13 and am worried I will be turned down for any surgery when I see consultant at first appointment in 2 days time. What can I do ?

I think this lady lives in Wales
I believe that Wales loathes funding WLS

Thanks ladies...only hours , rather than days, to go now. I will know , this time tomorrow, what the decision will be. Unless you don't get told at this first appointment?!!

Just needed to come on here before I go to the appointment!
Am very nervous...had to take a couple of Kalms this morning:eek:

Will let you know how I get on...wish me luck !!!

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
good luck Jax, thinking of you :) x

Josiegirl

Going to be thinking about Jax and also Brian today. Big day for them both. Hope all goes well :)

Happy, happy, happy !
Saw doctor at St. Thomas' today, told her my story, was very nervous as was expecting to be told no.
Anyway, she says Mr.Botha doesn't do Bypass but, he does the Gastric sleeve...so, that's what I am having ! How fab is that!
They will apply for funding and I will get an appointment for the Lipid clinic for pre-assessment within 4 weeks and then, all being well, will have a date for op within a further 6 weeks ! Fantastic. Came out of there with a huge grin.

lynne08

fantastic news Jax! another step along the way!
xxx