• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band, My journey, the thruth, the whole thruth and nothing but the thruth

Hey, I was the same Hun. The wind pain has to be the worst part of it. I'm six days post-op today and I can hand on heart tell u it does ease in time. Roll on the pounds dropping away x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Well done you!!! You will be fine. I had gas pains for a few weeks but I didn't care cos the pounds were falling off. Soluble paracetamol worked for me. Take care xXx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

OMG i wrote a massive long post took me over an hour and this site just log me out and i lost it!! arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggg

Happened to me the other day! Verrrry annoying!x

Right start again!!!
Hi everyone it is day 5 post op and i though i will write about each day since thursday, day of the op so i have it saved somewhere and it may help some pre-opper as i know that it helped me hearing about how people got on to get a clear picture of what was ahead of me even though everyone is different.
So Thursday was the day of the op and i felt numb i guess is the right word. I got pick up by my driver at 6am Paul and he was lovely. Talk about this and that during the journey which helped keep my mind of things. Not much traffic either so we were there by 7am which is the time when everyone is instructed to get to the hospital by. When i arrived there was 2 groups of patients seating in 2 corners of the reception area. it was me and another lady with her mum and sister who were the fat group basically waiting for gastric band surgery then there was the skinny blonde group who was waiting for what i rightly assumed was boob jobs! It did make me laugh at the time but i also thought what a shame people like me could not give away their extra pounds and transform it into boobs and give them to the skinny ones! job done everyone is happy right! Sadly not so simple. Anyway once you arrived, you then go and get your blood samples taken, a) so they check you are not anemic and b) to check your blood type just in case you might need a transfusion during the op. Not to be alarmed as my OH asked that question to my surgeon during consultation and it happened to him once in over 5,000 surgeries. Well the poor male nurse, after 4 attempts called it a day as he could not find my veins. He said that the anestetic guy will come and do it once I am in my room. TO be fair i have tinny veins so ever since i was little all nurses struggled to get blood out of me. And all the others that went in after me were in and out within minutes. I guess you have to have one troublemaker and it was me :( anyway, after that you meet with the anestetic of my surgeon who asked a series of questions which last about 2 mns and he then asked how i was feeling to which i answer terrified. He took the time to calm me down and reassured me answered my last minute questions. so i was very happy with him because he was on a schedule and had other people to see after me but did not rush me out at all. then you are taken to your room. Nice individual rooms, the hospital is surrounded by a farm and as I am a countrygirl it relaxed me hearing sheep, chicken and even a donkey! I love donkeys so the first text my OH received from me on the day of surgery was: there is a donkey! the hospital is surrounded by a farm with a donkey! He knows i am bonkers... :) by then the anestetic guy came to my room to take that blood samples and after a further 3 attempts managed to do so. Now i have bruises all over my arms and hands :( it is about 8.30 am by then. The surgeon came to my room about 9am to make me sign some papers and answered more of my last minute questions, then nurses came and introduced me to those very BIG BIG paper pants! I was so glad my OH never saw me in this otherwise it would have been the end of our sex life lol. then came the socks....again not attractive but pratical. then at 11.30 the nurse came in to say we are on in 20 mns. Boy that was it! i so wish i had a friendly face around me to hold my hand... then got to the op block and i never wanted to run away so much but i guess it is normal so just started crying very quietly. The assistant of the surgeon took my hand guided me to the table and told me what to do in a very reassuring manner and the anestetic guy said that he will put me under asap and it won't take long now. I was very grateful. even the surgeon came and stroke my arm in a calm manner and then they lifted up the table and i did not even count 10 i was out! Came round about 50 mns later and another assistant (very cute :)but don't tell my OH) said it was all done and had gone very well. Then he said that he was going to take me back to my room, to that i replied: Shall i walk? retarted i know!!! he laughed and said he wasn't going to be so cruel! then in and out of sleepy land until about 7pm. the surgeon came in to say it had gone very well and it was all very clear and tidy... I have a small band (i.e 10ml with 4ml already in it). then by 7pm i was restless so started walking the room as i was so scared of wind pain so i told myself move walk walk. The nurse came in to check on me and laugh saying well that answers my question. She said that i could walk up and down the corridor which i did and it was nice chatting to the nurses. Had a cup of tea and lots of water but no real pain. The anestetic said that he will put quite a bit of paracetamol in my sleeping cocktail so should not feel to much discomfort. then took some liquid paracetamol just for the night at 10pm but did not sleep longer than 45 mns at a time as i needed the bathroom but could not go (sorry for tmi) then at 5am i was back walking up and down the corridor. My belly was huge i look like i was 7 months pregnant (not even kidding) and all the gas was stuck there. The lady i met at the reception was was having the same surgery told me pepermint tea and she is right. This is the answer to everything post op. Pepermint tea really helps a lot. along with windeze and liquid paracetamol. Then by 7.30am i was discharged, Paul the drive came to collect me in my room took my bag and off we went home. Met another lady in the lift going down who came all the way from Kent to get surgeon Sigurdsson as he did her first band 6 years ago but sadly it had slipped and needed a new one. Bless her it took her 6 years to loose i think 7 stone then put 4.5 stones back on since May. It must have been heart breaking but she was in high spirit. Then got home after an hour car journey and i was glad it was only an hour. I felt every single bump and lump the road had. not very pleasant. So if you have a long journey be prepared to break it up into manageable chunks. So Friday i was home, slept a lot move about very slowly. Saturday was the worse for me. I was not shifting any wind still looked like 7 months pregnant it felt that the gas was stuck in my belly and will not go anywhere else plus felt very nauseous. Took it really easy watch telly to take my mind of things. Oh yes, do not watch to many funny things as laughing hurts well me. and all the programs my OH usually watch are 8 out of 10 cats, mock the week etc... you get the picture! So that did not help the discomfort. by sunday it started to ease off as i was breaking wind (sorry again for tmi) but this is what it is and what it will take to feel better. Yesterday i started to be able to sleep flat on my back and even on my right hand side which is how i usually sleeps so that help boost my moral and started to feel i am going back to normal. Last night I slept 11 hours solid and it was EVEN, this morning i feel i can take on the world! Did bits and bobs and not even tired. Previously just getting out of bed was enought to have a nap just to recover :) the only thing troubling me now is that my heart is racing a lot like a bit of a panic mode. I think it is my body telling me: WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!!! but even that is starting to calm itself down. Only when i go upstairs that i am really out of breath and my heart goes crazy. oh and my wounds are starting to get hitchy! I guess it is a good thing as it is a sign they are healing. I need to take in more calories and fluid though as i am only managing maybe 300 calories top! Milk, i completely forgot to drink plenty of milk as it is my main source of protein. so there is it a rather very very long and probably very boring post to read... I hope everyone is doing great and thanks for reading. To the new life as a post opper :) xxx

Hi mis,fab news you doing so well,remember to take it easy even if you feel like taking on the world...take care.xxx

hey my driver was called paul too haha he was from birmingham but lived in wales, and also i was next to the farm n had a strange goat making odd noises, me n mother was laughing (odd sence of humour) i could only sleep on my back n right side too, didnt sleep well for couple of days cause im only comfy laying on front or left, was a very good read thanks for putting it up xxx

Hey joey same driver ah ah. I was in room 28. Feeling good now although not used to be at home not doing anything. I always either go somewhere or do something while on holidays but its nice to have some me time. How r u now? Boy I can't wait to move on from liquid, fed up already and I have 8 more days of it... but hey weight is coming off.:)

im fab on proper solids now was actually looking forward to a nice salad n it was nice lol, i got bored of liquid after a week it hard going, but jus think couple more days now, how often r u gonna weigh? i weigh every sun x

Great post hunny. The big pants were funny eh :)

how long you on fluids for? I was told 2 weeks but I'm so sick of soup, yogurt etc I would kill for some mash!!

X

2 weeks i was on fluids for im 4 weeks post op now n only now allowed solids yay me lol it go so fast it only seems like the other day i was there having it done x

Well I Think we are all the same, 2 weeks on liquid alone, then 2 weeks on mash food then back to normal food

Oh poor u!!! I applaud u for making it 3 weeks, half way there. U can do it :)

oh, this is torture, so unfair. I have to stay on liquids for 6 weeks then 2 weeks pureed, 2 weeks soft/mushy, then maybe just maybe solids. :( I doubt if i will make it to 6 weeks, im headining into my 3rd week now, oh wonderous joy!!!
6 weeks? :eek: that seems excessive!!!

Back