• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band, My journey, the thruth, the whole thruth and nothing but the thruth

Mable, you poor thing, I am 10 days post-op and I am really sick of liquids now. I just want some texture in my mouth lol!!

Least this is a real test of all our will power!!

x

Thats just the way it is at Heartlands, i'm finding it difficult and i sense that not all of us make it past 3 weeks as the dietician said many people feel intense hunger at this stage but are still required to maintain a liquid diet!!! Its disheartening in a way because if like me you've done every diet under the sun, you feel really low when you havent achieved your goal and i confess iv'e only ever made it to 4 weeks on the cambridge diet and that was with 4/5 attempts. I'm digging deep into my reserves of will power now, lol, plus the fear of going under the knife again is at the front of my mind whenever i feel tempted to nibble!!

Aww Mable, I do feel for you. 4 weeks on the cambridge? I could barely manage 2 on that!

I am loving my tiny basset chewy vitamin in the morning. Its the best thing I have all day!! :)

Just hang-on in there, after 6 weeks you will have lost a nice amount of weight and you'll be proud you did it. You can do it. xxx

Count on us to keep u motivated, u can do it and once done u ll be so proud of yourself xx

So today was my first day back at work. Felt really good to get back to a routine and sort of normality. Few people noticed I lost weight :):):):):):):) oh yeah! I am completely shattered and looking forward to going to bed.otherwise, food wise well not much to say its liquid stage but bring on Thursday! This week end however was hard I cld have strangled my OH. He enjoyed a feast... cheesy doritos, pizza, burger king, chips sausages, toast salamies. I really felt like an addict suffering withdrawn syndrome, really odd feeling and makes u see urself in a different light, not sure I like it but hopefully soon enough i ll be a different person with a whole new approach to life.

So yesterday i had to go back to the doctors with eye infection. More drops for me. but the doctor i saw was the one that was horribly cold when i opened up about my weight issue. Anyway i did not tell him i had a band, will drop the letter off next week but i had a full check up and he asked me if i was still 224 pounds... yes that was my original weight and 215 was the weight i was at my consultation. anyway when i went on the scales it showed the same weight as my scales i.e 198 pounds!! Oh yeah... i was so happy and my asthma is getting better, lungs working at 85% compare to 60% back in March (but then i had a cheast infection then). SO i walk out of there feeling on top of the world (well almost as i also had my flu injection! so a wibble arm :)) anyway, last night i made mash potatoes and it was sooooooooooooooooooooo nice. Different texture makes a huge difference. I am still very much looking to the week end as i am completely worn out but it is understandable as still recovering really. Oh and all my wounds have healed properly so very happy.
hope everyone is well :) xxx

miserable said:
So yesterday i had to go back to the doctors with eye infection. More drops for me. but the doctor i saw was the one that was horribly cold when i opened up about my weight issue. Anyway i did not tell him i had a band, will drop the letter off next week but i had a full check up and he asked me if i was still 224 pounds... yes that was my original weight and 215 was the weight i was at my consultation. anyway when i went on the scales it showed the same weight as my scales i.e 198 pounds!! Oh yeah... i was so happy and my asthma is getting better, lungs working at 85% compare to 60% back in March (but then i had a cheast infection then). SO i walk out of there feeling on top of the world (well almost as i also had my flu injection! so a wibble arm :)) anyway, last night i made mash potatoes and it was sooooooooooooooooooooo nice. Different texture makes a huge difference. I am still very much looking to the week end as i am completely worn out but it is understandable as still recovering really. Oh and all my wounds have healed properly so very happy.
hope everyone is well :) xxx

Ah well done you...are u ready to change your username now?! xx

I should really souldnt I ... any ideas anyone??? I got told of by my OH for not telling my gp about my band and if I had problem with the flu jab but thankfully I didn't. I mean I would have told if it was another gp but as it was the same mean one that I saw when I broke down about my weight ... ll post the letter tomorrow...

Hello Everyone,

So it will be 4 weeks tomorrow I had my band, and to date I have lost 28.5 pounds to my heaviest weight which was back 5th of August (i was 224 pounds) and 21 pounds off from my first consultation (10th September) and finally 13 pounds since my op 4 weeks ago. I am VERY VERY happy with this. I know some people lost more or quicker but slowly but surely win the race! I am fitting in my clothes much better which is a nice feeling. I have recycled all my summer clothes as I am determined to fit in much smaller clothes by next summer. Even maybe a dress or skirt (dare i say it out loud!!!)

So life is good, although the change of clocks really affected me this year! I am so tired and feel run down, can't get rid of this stupid cold and doctor injected me with flu jab! I am amazed of the feeling of been full with a quarter of what i used to eat. But it is not just that I actually feel satisfied with what i ate so don't want to snack which is a FIRST for me! I had my dietician appointment call on Monday. She was lovely and said that I was doing really well. Emailed me lots of tips and food diary to aim at now that I am getting back to normal food. Sadly I can't make the appoitment they had for my first fill as it is a monday in Bristol and i don't have any holidays left. They will let know if they have a week end appointment in either Dolan Park or Bristol, otherwise looking at early January. TBH I am fine with it as i still have restriction from the op (don't know if it is normal or not) but also don't want to be a drastic changes for my family to observe at xmas. Yes none of them know about it and i VERY much like it to stay that way. They won't understand so better for everyone if we stay as we are.... So 3 weeks on, do i have regrets? NO atm i can manage all the food i have tried. Last night had stuffed peppers with mince beef, grated carrots, mushrooms finely chopped, tin of chopped tomatoes, chili, ginger, oregano herbs, wag it in the oven for 30mns it was lovely only managed half a pepper. Already managed brocolli, stewed beef (one mouthful) lettuce, finely sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes. My scars are healed and the smallest one is not as prominante as before so hopefully they are faiding away. So all good really. I am taking multivitamins in the morning as well but i used to pre op so doesn't make any difference. I hope everyone is ok.

You are doing great Mis .... hopefully not 'miserable' for much longer :)

Ure diary is a total inspiration. Nice for people who are going through similar things to be able to normalise thoughts and feelings! Thank u!! Xx

Thanks Everyone,

Although today was not such a great day. As i said yesterday I feel really run down and really struggling going to work. Having a midlife crisis before hand!!! Did all the right thing went to school, uni then needed a job as needed money so started this job, so kind of fell into it rather than this is my dream job kind of thing. I work in sales and i am learning to HATE it. I have been doing it for 6 years and the only thing that keeps me going is my clients. I have some really nice clients and I don't mind selling to them. its the negative pressure with the company, the competition within a team, colleagues. Instead of helping each other we keep stepping on each others toes and it is tension and company is playing on it which is not useful. So it all got to me today and as per karma or whatever, today was the day of birthday treats from people... chocolate cakes, croissants, homemade chocolate truffles do you get the picture. Today was my first real test to see if i could turn my life around and change once and for all my relationship with food... guess what I failed!!! I had two squares of chocolate cake from catbury (about one inch square) and one homemade truffle. Yes I will be honest in normal circumstances i would have tripled that!! and now my OH is out on a leaving due and I am seating here wanting to order Dominos pizza, chinese takeway and burgers... instead I think I better have my stuffed peppers, and left over jaket potato... the cadbury roses are also stearing at me...

So yes I am glad I had the band No it is not a miracle solution.... BUT I am determined I am not going to beat myself about it.Tomorrow is another day (although it is friday) and will see where I am at next week.

Also forgot to mentionned yesterday. The things I am struggling with is eat slowly and chew well... so I think I am going to have a tuff reality check once i get close to that sweet spot... but I am trying and hopefully I will managed to re-educate myself.

Onwards and upwards i say xxx

well all have miss haps, i went away other week n had crisps and a chinese, it was first 1 for 7 weeks b4 i had 1 every weekend so a treat now and again is ok in my little world lol, as for eating slow after my experiance yest i will say plz do so as it not nice when food gets stuck :( x

Well I fell of my bike today on my way to work. I fell like a big bag of potatoes!!! Once I eventually got to work all I wanted to do was curling up in a ball and pull the duvet over me. But no was a good girl did my full day and my knee is killing me. Scratched the skin of my knee :'( BUT the good thing I am going to take from this is, I did not rush into food for comfort... well I did have two fancies little cakes because the sandwiches shop guy is always lovely with me and wanted to make me feel better. Guess what the ice cubes he gave me made me feel 10 times better than the cakes... makes u wonder how u though food was the answers to all ur problems. Also got a new appointment for my first fill on 10th December. I should be happy with it and I am as my portions are getting bigger still not half as much as I used to. But I am worried about Xmas and all potential questions my family may ask and how am I going to lie to them....

iv decided to tell a handful of peps, if peps gonna ask ill tell not gonna keep it secret, i fell the other day was so shamed lol, also my potions did get bigger and now i feel hunger pangs when i go long times without food (did get told not to go more than 4 hrs without eating), iv had a 3ml fill and not feeling ne restriction yet!!! and got another fill on the 2nd of dec so looking forward to that xx

What band size have u got? And did they put any during the op?

Back