• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kelly1 questions/answers here

In a bypass the large part of the stomach is left in and still connected to the intestines so that the stomach acids and bile etc can drain down and aid digestion further down.

Thanks Shelbell, so the larger part of the stomach that's disected still works??? Biology lessons were never my strong point! Does it mean that the smaller pouch doesn't produce any acid/bile but like acts as a kind of 'holding bay' for food, which is then digested lower down in the intestine??? Or does the pouch also produce its own acid??? It's all very puzzling when you think about how things work inside you....

I shall want to lose some more before I 'go public' with my wobbly bits... but it would be really good to be able to feel comfy in a swimming costume again and head off to the baths regularly! xxx

Hi Beverlie - oh I love swimming - its the only time I don't feel my weight. I recently started going a couple of months ago, three times a week - I'm a right sight for sore eyes in my swimdress tho. :D I know I must look a bit like a hippo in the water; but I can't do any other exercise due to hip and knee problems - I'm just to heavy to jump around in aerobics or on bikes/treadmils in the gym. I also want to start to lose as much weight as I can before (or if) I have the op - need to tone up as much flabby skin as possible...

The worst bit of being big is that you daren't go anywhere for fear of being made fun of or insulted. However, if you can get to an Adults Only session there's less chance that anyone will sling the comments. I've not had any probs or felt like anyone's sniggering at me (so far)!!!

Unfortunately, the place I go to is going to close before March next year, so I'll have to look elsewhere after christmas...

In a bypass the large part of the stomach is left in and still connected to the intestines so that the stomach acids and bile etc can drain down and aid digestion further down.

ahhhhhhhhhh that makes sense!

Thanks Shel. :)

I am only under 5 feet tall, this is a worry for me... sounds like with you being taller Mixx that the skin may not be such an issue and thanks so much for coming back to me xxx

me too honey.

I need to more than halve my current weight.

But Mixy's done it......so it's possible!

I look at myself and think, " where can 10+ stone be?!" coz I'm so short! ;)

but I think it's maybe a case of like in the pantomimes......

"It's behind you!" :8855:

I'm hoping exercise and massage will do the trick with the excess skin, otherwise it's going to have to be saving up the pennies for a tummy tuck. :)

But I like to cross bridges as I come to them....and tbh, it won't be a bad problem to have! :p

Nova, you are absolutely right there... it's a brilliant exercise isn't it... I just wish there were classes for larger ladies, there used to be and were disbanded... aqua aerobics is fantastic exercise! I'm really working on exercise and getting my stamina up, since I've had other health issues so have been told to try and get myself fitter and to lose more weight... I'm around 18 and a half stone, but have been much heavier in the past. Kindest regards xxx

Thanks Shelbell, so the larger part of the stomach that's disected still works??? Biology lessons were never my strong point! Does it mean that the smaller pouch doesn't produce any acid/bile but like acts as a kind of 'holding bay' for food, which is then digested lower down in the intestine??? Or does the pouch also produce its own acid??? It's all very puzzling when you think about how things work inside you....

It produces some acid, which is why we need ant-acids post op to prevent erosion along the staple line and around the new stoma (opening to intestines). Food doesn't sit in there for long though because the stoma is just an opening, not a valve like in the normal stomach.

Often post op you can here the old stomach gurgling and the new one gurgling back!

with having a gastric sleeve do you need that camera down your throat?.....?? o noooooo.....

i have another question, is there a high risk for things like hernias etc or probs with the gall bladder with a sleeve?................ x

wow what an interesting thread! i decided on wls a few weeks ago and had my heart set on a band...but i came across the sleeve and i think im heading towards the sleeve instead. All these questions have been helpful to me too :D

I'm not the most paitient of people and im not willing to wait to jump through many hoops to get NHS funding only to be told at the end of it that they cant fund it! So private it is...just need to make my mind up hehe

Hi Deets, I'm pre-op so this is only hearsay and what i've read on this site - its when you eat something sugary or fatty and your body releases a load of insulin into your system to cope with it, leaving you feeling dizzy, nauseous, with the runs, headachy and tired - it sounds similar to a hypo you get when you're diabetic but can come on quickly after eating. You can have dumping with certain foods, even if you've eaten them happily in the past and post op....

i am sooooooooooooooooooooo scared having the op done, my first cons is on the 11/10/10 not sure if i will have the fund as yet, i am the only hope and family for my only child and i would like to have the op for her sake so i can run and play with my daughter, i just pray for all of us for god to watch over us.

hey i have another question, do they scan your liver and gall bladder prior to surgery?.......and if so what are they looking for?... and if anything found will it stop the op... ie if liver is to big/fatty etc x

There were no scans for me but I was told if, when they went in, and my liver was too big, ie, cheated on the pre-op diet, they would close me back up and ask me to lost 5 stone myself before reconsidering me again for surgery.

When they did operate, my liver was still too fatty when they went in and I ended up with the sleeve rather than the bypass. But from the condition of my liver it was obvious to them that I had followed the diet religeously.

o gosh id just be distrought if that happened to me, im gonna try get 3 stone off before surgery... ive lost a stone and half so far... you reckon if i do that and the pre op diet it ll be ok?........... or is that like asking how long is a peice of string?.. x

hiya mixxy :) so im not telling work about my op.... and im gonna take annual leave over it... and take 2 weeks, do you think id be able to go back after two weeks?...

I would say it depends on the job you do & how you feel. Personally I thought I could go back to work then a simply job like washing my hair left me exhausted. I'm going back to work on 1st Nov, which is 4 weeks after my op.

Some people think that's too soon. But everyone is different & its a bit 'suck it & see'.

Take care

Back