• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Story - Raw and Real!

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
I sent this as a letter to my close friends and family last week, they had no idea that I was waiting for a By-pass. Every one of them has sent me the most amazing supportive messages back. :D

I began my weight loss surgery journey in January 2010, when my GP said to me ‘well what are we going to do about your weight’? and I jokingly said ‘I need a gastric band’. :8855:
Then he rummaged through some papers and said ‘Oh I've just received some information on weight loss Surgery, would you like me to refer you’? I told him ‘Yes I would’. :hide:

I went to see the consultant in May 2010. He recommended a Gastric Bypass and my hubby, Paul and myself agreed that would be the best way forward for me.

I had to get funding for my gastric bypass from the PCT so my GP applied for it! They turned me down and said I needed to do a 6 month weight management course first and then reapply. Little did I know because of mistakes and lack of staff I wouldn't complete it until August 2011. :mad:

My story is similar to most fatties. :crazy:

I have always been fat, I can’t remember being less than 13 stone, even as a child. I am now over 21 stone. All my family were fat,
I have got used to being fat,
I have stuck up for being fat ..................................
but secretly have always wanted to be slimmer. :jelous:
I was never ridiculed at school, I think because I was feisty and gobby and made friends easily. People have often said to me ‘You have a real bubbly personality’ what they really mean is ‘You’re fat’ :eek:

I have seen my mum diet all her short life, Paul’s Mum too. My sister has worked immensely hard and lost 6 stone, I am so proud of her, she has stuck at it and it has taken her years, but she is living her life at the same time and I admire her greatly. If she puts weight on at Christmas or on holiday, she knuckles right down and gets it back off. I wish I could be like her, but I can’t, I have tried. I have tried everything! :sigh:

My husband is gorgeous and loves me whether I am fat or not, and so do my children, so I am very fortunate and blessed. ;)

BUT ……………………………………………………………

I have to ask for an extension seat belt on planes.
I can’t go walking with my Hubby and youngest Daughter.
I can’t even walk around shops for too long with my eldest Daughter.
Going to the park with my grand kids is something I have to push myself to do.
I hate big crowds because I feel so self conscious, so concerts, theme parks, theater etc are all no-no's for me.
I can’t go to aqua aerobics with my daughters.
I can’t go bike riding with my youngest daughter.
I won’t go to parents evenings because I don't want her teachers and friends to see me.

I hate doing things I used to love doing………...because of my weight. :ashamed0005:

I am not taking the easy option. It isn't going to be easy. It is going to be a tool that will help me loose weight and be healthier. I am going to have a Gastric By Pass and soon! :talk017:

I will go through major surgery, there is a chance of death, like every surgery.
I will put my family under the stress of my operation and my recovery. :eek:

Then I have to eat liquids,
then onto Purees
then it’s soft food,
eventually going back on to solids. :cool:

But I won’t have a stomach anymore only a pouch the size of a small egg.
So I wont be eating large portions again.
Fatty food will give me gross, smelly, rancid, anti social runs and Sugar will make me ‘Dump’ which is like a Diabetic Hypo and makes you feel like you are dying. :needhug:

So for the rest of my life I will be eating low fat, low sugar food. I will need to exercise regularly. :bliss:

So don't tell me this is the easy option please!:banghead:

I am happily married to my childhood sweetheart, we celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary in August. I tell people I got married when I was 12!!!! Obviously joking! I am now 49! So I was 18 when we got married. :candledinner:

We have 3 adopted children, not being able to have our own.
Two are grown and flown the nest giving us 3 beautiful grand kids and we have a gorgeous 13 year old Amy. We adopted her when she was 5. I have always been fat and was amazed when I got through the medicals for the adoptions. Our two eldests adoption was 27 years ago and I weighed 18 stone and Amy's was only 8 years ago and I weighed 20 stone. I have diabetes because of my weight and most days feel ' a struggle' physically. :hitthefan:

My husband and I foster relinquished babies who are going onto adoption. We get them when they are just born then they go on to their 'forever' families when the courts and Social Workers sort all the red tape out. Its hard when they go, but we are in touch with most of the babies we have fostered and it is so rewarding to see how happy they are. We are God parents Matthew, we had him for 10 months, what a privilege! :thankyou:

One baby we looked after, 4 years ago, A beautiful boy, we applied to adopt him, we'd had him from birth till he was 14 months old. I was turned down because of my weight 3 years ago. They didn’t actually say that but that’s what they meant. What a blow at the time. But I have to admit that I wouldn't have the energy as he grew up. I only just keep up with my 13 year old.....well sometimes I don't! He has the most amazing parents, who kindly share him with us and we know that this was the best for him. :giveup:

My grand kids run me ragged and I want to 'Get down' and play with them and can't. :superwoman:

I got a call from the spire hospital in Manchester 2 weeks ago to ask me to come in for an appointment. (I was a bit confused as I hadn't heard from the PCT about my funding) The nurse said ‘Oh yes, you now have your funding’. (later on I found out the PCT had sent my letter to the wrong address)!!!!! I was so shocked I had to sit down. I thought it was never going to happen. :happy036:

So Paul and I went to the Meeting. It was an information session. It was really informative and they introduced some of the staff to us and explained the different types of bariatric surgery I could have. I still feel the bypass is the best way forward for me. :party0049:

Those who know me, will know by this time, I have already researched it as much as possible, I have bough every book about it and talked to others that have had the same surgery. I have had 2 long years to change my mind and I haven't once! :read:

So now it’s real, and scary! But I really know this is for me!:clap:

I am waiting for a date to see the consultant to arrange surgery, should be in the New Year. :party0011:

2 weeks before surgery I will start a liver reduction diet to make sure I am fit for surgery. I am having the operation Laparoscopicaly and will be in hospital 24-48 hours if all goes well. I will have a lot of internal stitches and the recovery period is 6-8 weeks. :yuk:

So my journey continues .................................... :cross:

wow that is a very emotional and heartfelt letter hun, and it mirrors where most of us have been.
I wish you all the luck in the world hun, and i look forward to hearing all about your weight loss journey xx

What a fantastic post! I can identify with so much of it, and I admire your bravery and candidness.

I hope you get your surgery very soon. I had mine nearly 2 weeks ago, and am feeling absolutely fine, so hope it goes as well for you.

All the very best,
Liz xx

Well done Lou; I bet you are so pleased about the amount of support you got in response to your letter - support that will stand you in good stead both pre- and post-op. Best of luck for a speedy op date.

I don't know what to say, brought tears to my eyes x x

After having a few years break we are just about to start fostering babies again.

best of luck x x

So lovely Lou, have a tear in my eye, this will be the best thing ever for you hun, and do hope to meet you soon, love and hugs xxxx

What a wonderful heartfelt letter you have sent out, although this is the first post I have ever read of yours I already understand why those that know you have responded with such support.

You are obviously a very special and caring person with wonderful support from your husband and family.

Good luck to you...it isn't the easy option and you will have struggles....but trust me it is so worth it!!

I wish you all the best with your bypass and your future...it will be fantastic:)

I can't stop crying. Fantastic letter hun. good luck xx

I don't know what to say, brought tears to my eyes x x

After having a few years break we are just about to start fostering babies again.

best of luck x x

Good luck with the fostering hun. We are having a break after our 12 week old goes into adoption in February. But we Love doing it. So rewarding.

xxx

Fantastic letter, Lou.

Lovely post u r a very special woman/ family to have fostered all them children and to have given them a loving safe home to live in till there adoptive family were found u truely deserve something bk for all u have given n this is ur reward a new start to a long slim healthy happy life ;) hope ur date comes soon n u have a speedy pain free recovery Hun look forward to following ur successful journey xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You are all so lovely. Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad to be part of this site. xxxx

Just seen the surgeon and he's booked me in for Jan 6th.
He said because I've had previous ops I may have lots of adhesions and of he can't do the by pass he would have to do a sleeve?
Can anyone tell me the differnce please. I'd set my heart on a by pass.

Xx

The sleeve is where they cut away some of the stomach so you are just left with a small sleeve. There is restriction as a result.

Bypass is where they leave you with a small pouch and reroute your intestines so that food does not enter the large intestine. This results in both malabsorption and restriction.

Basically the bypass is the more drastic of the two and it is expected you will lose more with bypass, but everyone is different.

What a beautiful letter. I had my bypass at Spire Manchester on the 13th of December and I can tell you everyone was fantastic and they put me so at ease. If there are any questions you have that I can answer I will.
Good luck with your journey xxx

lou, that read bought tears to my eyes, makes me feel like i know you.....im not suprised you have such a good support network, seems to me like you are one of lifes angels xxx

Back