• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Next step - approaching the finish line

How embarrasing lol

Well it's been a rough week, with Josh's diagnosis; the bloomin useless consultant and me mentioning the constant pain in my hands and neck to the GP when I went for my chat about the consultant (see other thread). Apparently the arthritis in my hands is getting worse and just to add to my aches and pains, it looks as though I may also have Carpel Tunnel syndrome. Apart from my hands being bloomin painful - I've ignored it, until tonight. I am supposed to walk with crutches as one of my knees gives way - a lot. In and around the house, I try not to be dependant on a crutch. As it looked like rain, I opened the back door to pick up Josh's wellies and bring them in. I put my hand on the door jamb and leant forward to pick the wellies up and the next minute I was flat on my face on the concrete path OUCH!!! Now I have bruises on both hands and a grazed knee, but at least it's taken my mind off my arthritic body lol. Once I'd managed to get back up (no mean feat) I have done nothing but giggle for the past hour everytime I picture myself lying prone half in and half out of the door. I am sooooooo glad the neighbours weren't out lol. :D

At least you've got a sense of humour about it hun! Hope you feel a bit better and look after yourself.

At least you've got a sense of humour about it hun! Hope you feel a bit better and look after yourself.

Thank You Yvessa x

Hi I would send a compaint letter directly to the chief exec at the Hospital. Docs and Consultants are still employed and they have to be accountable.

Hi I would send a compaint letter directly to the chief exec at the Hospital. Docs and Consultants are still employed and they have to be accountable.

Oh don't worry, that is on my list, but waiting to see what response GP gets first. Even if it all starts to happen, I shall be making my experience and my feelings known to those in higher positions once all is done and dusted.

Just to reiterate the previous advise. It is worth also writing to your MP. You should give as much factual detail as possible in the letter, including the response you have had from PALS. A letter to the PCT from the MP requires a full response, which needs investigation on their part.

Went along to BOSPA again today. Met a lovely young man from Health Promotions and had a really good chat. He was saying that the medical profession is now starting to look at the Bypass as everyday surgery as there are massive numbers of people having it - which was quite comforting in a way.

I also met a guy who has the same consultant as I do and perhaps it's no suprise that he is having to constantly chase appointments, etc up and receives letter saying things totally different from what the consultant says face to face. I feel a partnership coming on lol.

How long from application for funding to hearing something?

I was wondering how long people had to wait from their applicaton for funding going off, to actually hearing one way or the other - I want to work out the average (I am so impatient) x

It varies depending on which area your from. My funding was initially approved in sept 2011 and I'm still waiting for a surgery date. Not sure if I've been much help to you :-/

Just under a month.

Hi

Mine was only a few weeks and that included a refusal and successful appeal.

All done by my GP without me even knowing I had been turned down till after he appealed for me.

Paul

Mine was 3 months. Different PCTs around the country seem to have different timescales. My pal is still waiting for funding after 18 months from application.

Thank You all for replying - could still be a while yet then

Hi mine was 4 weeks xx

It's not as bad as getting funding and then finding your surgeon has a two year waiting list. That happend to me, so I quickly got changed to another hospital which only had a 12 week waiting list.

Paul

It's not as bad as getting funding and then finding your surgeon has a two year waiting list. That happend to me, so I quickly got changed to another hospital which only had a 12 week waiting list.

Paul

Don't tell me things like that lol - I've been on this flippin journey since 2007!!!

We only have one hospital down here that could do this.

Last edited:
Every area is different, you can see my time lines at the bottom of my post. Hope that your op comes soon xx

Back