• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The best and worst bits of having a bypass

Hi I have only joined this forum today, went to presentation by Mr Patel last week at Kings. Now waiting for consultation appt (6-12 weeks) Then been told waiting list is about a year! At the moment I need 7 injections a day for my diabetes and 2 different types of tablets so I am very excited about a light at the end of the tunnel - you have given me so much inspiration!

Hi I have only joined this forum today, went to presentation by Mr Patel last week at Kings. Now waiting for consultation appt (6-12 weeks) Then been told waiting list is about a year! At the moment I need 7 injections a day for my diabetes and 2 different types of tablets so I am very excited about a light at the end of the tunnel - you have given me so much inspiration!

hopefully after your op the need for insulin might go down ...........well thats what i'm hoping for (with the blessing of my diabetes consultant)

had a tear in my eye reading some of these, well done guys x

Best Bits: No longer diabetic, no high blood pressure, joint pain so much better, no longer breathless walking up stairs, and no words can describe the way I now feel about myself.

Worst Bits: Vomiting, vomiting, vomiting I have been one of the 1/10 who will have what is known as an anastomotic stricture. I have had one endoscopy dialation and have to go again next week for another as I still cannot keep solid food down 4 months post op.

Worst Bit:

Gallstones!

Realising that even with having this lovely tool and all the weight I have lost, I still have "food issues" and I always will.

Loose skin.

Best Bit:

Having the confidence, energy, and ability to go back to school and move an ocean away from home.

Being lighter than my boyfriend and being able to sit on his lap.

Being able to travel without physical pain and discomfort.

Having so many more clothes options!

Being lighter than my sister who was not always the kindest about my weight issues when we were growing up (sort of a petty one but it's the truth).

Feeling like I am a better mama to my puppy because I am far more apt to get up and take her for her much beloved walks.

Knowing I am worth it. I am worth working through and tackling my "food issues", even when it's hard sometimes.

----

All in all the worst bits, even the gallstones that are causing my so much discomfort and pain at the moment, are worth it, hands down.

Best Bits - no diabetes or cholesterol medication, normal blood pressure, no asthma, no backpain on getting up every morning, being able to walk all day without tiring, seeing my muscles develop, being able to buy clothes in any store and snapping up bargains in markets, not dreading going to my doctor for a checkup, not worrying about fitting in seats, not standing out.

Worst bits: loose skin, aging face, filling in the space that I used to fill with food (emotionally) thats it!

Can't wait to be able to give my list of best bits,

It is really fabulous have this forum to hear peoples stories

this is a great thread, i am due to have my bypass 24th August and have lots of feelings, fears etc as im sure you all did before your surgery. This is a great read keep in touch luv kazx

Wow this is a great thread. It gives a great prespective of what to expect, both good & bad. Th emain thing Im worried about is excess skin, I have about 13st to loose so am expecting the worst with that. What are other peoples experiences with loose skin? Is there any way to try and combat it?
Thanks.xxx

Thats just what I needed to read, was feeling a bit sorry for myself, thinking maybe I shouldnt have had op, but youve given me hope that theres better to come in the future xx

Loose skin varies from person to person.......mine is quite bad and i have exercised constantly throughout my weightloss journey.
BUT!!! its better than being obese xx

That is very very true. I just cant wait to have mine now!!

Fab thread to keep visiting particularly with all the mixed thoughts and feelings two weeks before surgery!

what an absolutely fantastic thread!!!! ive been crying here :roofles:
so cant wait for mine x

best bits everything ie looking and feeling better, more confidence ,new clothes, hardly any knee pain, nearly lighter than my husband lol
bad bits nothing xxxxxxx

Bev I hope it might comfort you to know that my Surgeon told me that he is expecting a complete remission of my diabetes following bypass. At the moment I am on Humalog and Lantus and all the other diabetes meds. So I am very excited about that and I will be having the op on my 62nd birthday :)

My sister had a gastric bypass three years ago and she was also diabetic and on massive doses of insulatard. She was 63 when she had the bypass with "the fat doctor" himself. She has lost 10 stones, stopped all insulin and medication on surgery date and has since had two new knees and is fit as a fiddle. You go girl - I am sure you will be fine :)

Bev I hope it might comfort you to know that my Surgeon told me that he is expecting a complete remission of my diabetes following bypass. At the moment I am on Humalog and Lantus and all the other diabetes meds. So I am very excited about that and I will be having the op on my 62nd birthday :)

My sister had a gastric bypass three years ago and she was also diabetic and on massive doses of insulatard. She was 63 when she had the bypass with "the fat doctor" himself. She has lost 10 stones, stopped all insulin and medication on surgery date and has since had two new knees and is fit as a fiddle. You go girl - I am sure you will be fine :)

yay good luck :)

Best bits? Being able to run about with my grandson - never thought I'd be able to do that :-D
No joint pain, being able to walk and walk and walk without looking for somewhere to sit down.
Being invisible.... I used to get called names and talked about when out and about in town, I'm sure people think the obese are also deaf! Now nobody gives me a second glance, I love it.

Worst bits? Sometimes I'd love to eat a little more normally at a wedding or a meal out, I can barely eat a starter so either find I have to explain myself or just feel a little uncomfortable when I'm asked if there was a problem with my meal and I try to explain that it was lovely but I just couldn't manage any more which always gets met with a strange look as I still have a few stone to lose!
But overall, my life has changed for the better immeasurably, I wouldn't change a thing.

Back