• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so it begins...Kirsty's journey to a sleeve!!

Thanks i am so Happy xx

Amazing news ! Be excited not scared , this is your new life , take it and embrace it ..
I started a thread in here about what we hate about being overweight ? It's been mixed in with my own Bander diary . But it does help to write down what you do not like about your old .
Put your hates down in writing in your diary , then you have something to go back and look at , if you ever wonder if you've done the right thing
Again huge congrats !
Mindy
Xxxx

Last edited:
So its 3 weeks till i start LSD, 5 weeks till repeat pre op and 6 weeks till surgery. Had all letters come in post today. Wow this is really happening. I have to do LSD for 3 weeks would u recommend the milk or low cal diet. Id always planned to do the milk diet and i actually did a 2 week trial run before xmas so i know what to expect. I like the that its simple an easy but the food one is obviously more appealing but more work with portion an cal counting and more tempration.

Kirsty xx

I didn't do the milk diet .. I had a lot of weight to lose as my BMI was 51 . So my care team told me I had to do
4'eggs
8oz of chicken breast
Green leafy veg , only greens
Large bag Italian salad leaves
Bovril
Sugar free jellys
2 pieces of fruit , no bananas

It was hard and i suffered for the first 4 days as the carbs left my body, but after that I got in the swing of it and it was ok .
Lost 18lbs I think in those 2weeks I think ..
There are lots of people on her who have done the milk diet , so I'm sure you will find lots of help and encouragement :)

I was suddenly scared when I got my op date, I think it's normal. After all this is a huge thing we're doing :)

I'm starting the milk diet on Sunday, we aren't given an option but I think it sounds easier than measuring out food.
Good luck x

I did the 800-1000 calorie one with strict carb rules as per Walsall's option sheet. I was on it for 5 weeks as my op was cancelled the night before - it was ok. I 1.5 stones going from 19 stone to 17.5. (my first pre op tests all clear - they were out of date but time op date came through so repeated the week before my op and this time showed MRSA in nose - results took 5 days and came in the day before my op. So they cancelled op for MRSA treatment to start)

Your op is the week of my op anniversary. Great times ahead xxx

How crazy that my op date is almost the same as yours one year ago. Can i ask how u came to decision on what per ope diet to choose? I feel the milk one will prepare me better for post op liquid stages but the low cal one will be less of a dramatic change. If im honest i didnt even read the low cal option they sent me the other day as id already decided on the milk option. Im gna have a read of both choices and make a more informed decision i have 16 days till pre op diet starts.

Kirsty xx

I went for the food one as I felt I would stick to it better - I wasn't sure I would cope on milk, Bovril and a couple of yoghurts - I wanted something that I would have a chance of sticking to for 3 weeks as I was terrified of failing and my liver being too big. Also I had a teenage kid and wanted the easiest to fit into our lives - we ate breakfast and tea together for the whole 3 weeks and it wasn't weird. Finally - Walsall are super strict after surgery - they insisted in my day (and I don't think it has changed) that you have a full weeks of liquids only - not even a bloody yoghurt - so I could not face 7 weeks straight of liquids! I have all the pre and post op diets as a PDF - and can happily send them to you - send me a private message and I can email them to you if you wish :D

I'm on my last day of the milk diet
It's been ok !!! I've had a couple of emotional days but they could have happened on any of the diets.
I've drank plenty of milky coffees made jelly with milk and drank by the glass and I made it !!
Toilet habits bit hit and miss went days without going then whoosh ..... say no more
I've slept better and lost 17lbs 2oz so good luck with your own LRD
Take care x

Wow well done @Tracey Anne !
I'm at the end of day 2 and so far so good. I'm not even hungry right now so I hope that lasts!
So, op day tomorrow then? Good luck x

Wow tracey u have done great hope op has gone well.
Thanks debs i will send u my email. Can i ask did u have to have protein shakes post op and if so what brand did you use. They went through alot in the seminar but that was early october lol

Kirsty xx

Debs iv jus checked my email and i have the pre and post op info which u sent me last year so im jus gna read through that agen to refresh and try dig out my note book from the seminar. I might call and ask for pre op swabs an bloods to b bought forward a week so i dont have any problems with mrsa although i hope its not somethin i will have nor have ever had. But if i was unlucky i may have enough time to treat it. What u think xx

13 days left of eating what has been "normal" to me all my life its scary to think that in 13 days i will begin my much awaited journey and some thing will never be the same agen. But i know that some things will be so much better so its all worth it. It doesnt feel real that its this close. 4 weeks an 6 days till my op.

Kirsty xx

Excited for you Kirsty. I have read your post from beginning. Started my journey around same time as you, last year August and now on waiting list. Been told it will be June/July surgery. I am counting the weeks already even though I have not got an exact date yet.

Its exciting time isnt it paula. What hospital are you with and what surgery have you chose. I start my pre op diet in 12 days. I cant believe its finally here. I jus hope it dont get cancelled on the day cuz my hospital has done that to a few people iv spoken to. Wow you read my whole diary i bet thats a lot of reading. Its been a stressful and long process but were finally at the end now.

Kirsty xx

Hi Kirsty Yes it is - I literally eat sleep drink thinking about my anticipated surgery date lol! Enjoyed reading you make it so interesting to read. I am at Kings College Hospital and I chose the bypass but my surgeon said I would be better off with the sleeve. (my only concern is I have terrible acid reflux) That said I think she is right. I am asthmatic and too long in surgery probably not good for that

I cant believe we are near the end of our journey and the beginning of a new life. seems like a long time ago that first meeting but we are nearly there. At present I am looking at those slimfast powders not sure if they are any good for after. Did you ever try them?

Hey paula,
I have concerns about acid reflux as i suffer with indigestion now but there are meds for that and i had more concerns about the bypass. I opted for sleeve and my surgeon agreed but i had researched heavily and could explain my choice. I do know a lady that has had a terrible time with reflux but i also know lots who havent had a problem. You have to do whats best for you but id also listen to your surgeons advice but ask him to explain why he says sleeve over bypass for you.
Iv been suffeing with anxiety this week to the point its made me ill but its jus nerves. Saw gp today and ge is helping me stay on track. Im glad you find my diary interesting.
Im off out for steak and cocktails at miller and cater tomorrow with my hubby. Its somewhere iv always wanted to go and nows my last chance.
I have tried the slimfast and actually have some in my kitchen now lol. They help with short term weight loss but as for post op i think they say whey powder or fortisips is best but speak to you dietician. Im going to make a list of post op questions to take into hospital with me and i will make sure i get all the answers before im discharged. I hope you get your date soon. Im june 8th so we may well be surgery buddies. Keep me posted and any questions or advice feel free to share.

Kirsty xx

10 days till pre op diet. Iv decided to go for the milk version x

I spoke to my dietician yesterday and they recommend shakes like the Tesco one to start with because she says the whey protein ones I got won't have enough vitamins and minerals. Hopefully in time I can use them though, I'm thinking maybe for breakfast because the diet plan suggests weetabix, ready break or a slice of crustless toast and I can't have gluten.
@xk1rstyx I'm on day 7 of the milk diet and I'm finding it dead easy. I've not got to be around food preparing an exact amount I can just grab a pit of yogurt when I fancy one and with 2 pints of milk and another 2 litres of fluid to get down as well I'm not hungry at all.
I had a few special meals before I started too. They were normal sized, not blow outs or anything like that and I really enjoyed them. It was saying goodbye but I found it a positive experience. Enjoy your night (?) out :)

Back