• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so it begins...Kirsty's journey to a sleeve!!

In relation to protein drinks..arla do one and weetabix do a high protein one too...both have 20g of protein per bottle and lower carbs than slimfast. I use these daily to up my protein, and slim fast too but that is much sweeter. I have found whey protein drinks have an awful after taste but these two are pretty goid, weetabix drink it the better of the two though.
Good luck ladies x

I can't have the weetabix ones because they include wheat but the arla ones could be good.
I've been lucky mostly trying out different protein shakes but occasionally get a stinker. On the upside they make me feel so nauseous I don't want to eat anything ;)
@xk1rstyx how was your meal out?

Hey Kirsty
Yes I have been on meds for some time but now off lanzoprozole but I still go through bottles of Gaviscon. Hope you enjoyed your meal. I went to the local today and had a full roast dinner but only ate the chicken beef and veg. Trying to get used to eating meat then veg no space for the rest lol and I have not had surgery yet (it was a big portion) Thank you ladies with regards to the best drinks. I will be trying these out prior to having surgery and stock up on the ones I like best.

Hi everyone sorry for late reply. Firstly with the shakes i spoke to my bariatric dietician today an she said only shake they advise post op is whey protein and that i should aim for 25-60g of protein per shake. She said they used to recommend slimfast but people have had problem with the sugar content and the weetabix will be the same but all hospitals say different things so id say always follow your own hospitals guide lines.

My meal out was lovely and today iv had my final meal i cooked for me an my hubby. I start my milk diet tomorrow. J went out today an bought enough muller light yogurts to last me 4 days to have the dietician tell me that i can no longer use the muller lights as they have too many calories. I was told to aim for diet ones and with less that 10g of suger but now they said to choose weight watchers ones or supermarket own brands an the pots are smaller and to aim for 50-60 caleries per pot. Im gna use the muller light ones iv bout as i was i told before they were ok but like i said they will only last days so for the other 17 days i will make sure i but the ones she said. I had my seminar in october an they av changed their recommendations on lots of different things since thn an if i hadnt called i wouldnt know.

Goin shoppin today to prepare for my LSD and also havin to do my regular shop for husband and kids was wierd. I was lookin at so many different stuff in the shop an thinkin im probably not gna have that agen. The next 6 months are gna b maily liquid an mush its a big change from what iv been used to.

Its all very real now and its scary. My husband asked if im sure i want to have the op. My answer was no im not 100% sure i have fears an doubts but i am 100% sure that if o dont have the op i will regret it for the rest of my life.

Will update with my progress on pre op diet. Cant believe im actually starting my pre op diet tomorrow tbought this would never come.

Hope ur all well.

Kirsty xx

............Its all very real now and its scary. My husband asked if im sure i want to have the op. My answer was no im not 100% sure i have fears an doubts but i am 100% sure that if o dont have the op i will regret it for the rest of my life.......

This sentence hit home with me - I get butterflies in my tummy when I think about the time just before my Op and how I will feel - but I have to remember why I am doing it, yes it is scary and has risks, but then not doing it has more risks and I don't want to be heavier than I am now and as miserable as I am now!

Good luck with starting the LSD, let us know how you are getting on.

This sentence hit home with me - I get butterflies in my tummy when I think about the time just before my Op and how I will feel - but I have to remember why I am doing it, yes it is scary and has risks, but then not doing it has more risks and I don't want to be heavier than I am now and as miserable as I am now!

Good luck with starting the LSD, let us know how you are getting on.
Exactly my thoughts before the op
I felt the same there were more risks NOT having the surgery as far as I could see xxxx

Its true we will b better off after this op and a few weeks out we will wonder what all the fuss was about. How we are all feeling now is natuaral its a massive change were going through.

Well day 1 of LSD and im not havin a great day. So far i have had half my milk allowance, 2 yogurts, 1 coffee and 1 cup of soup. I am feeling hungry but mostly feeling sick. Im on high does pain patches for my arthritis an the side effects are really hitting me today i feel sick, drowsy, dizzy an tired. I have to put new ones on every 3 days an today i put new ones on so side effects are at their worst.

As for the diet its not been to bad i suppose and it will get easier in a few days.

Kirsty xx

In the same boat as you, started LSD yesterday and went for the milk one - but allowed only 1l (2pints) a day and 2l of water or other no sugar drinks. Day one was really hard but not as bad as yours I guess because of your arthritis. Thankfully, my LSD is for 2 weeks, the surgery is scheduled for the 1st June and they better not cancel :mad:, I don't know what I'd do with myself if they did! Day 2 is only slightly better...

Hi nafpnd nice to have someone on same stage as me my op is 8th june so 1 week after yours. What op are you having and where are u having it done. Yh my arthritis causes a lot of pain in my back, hips, and knees the patches help but im still in constant pain and lots of side effects.

Cant you have yogurts or bovril?
Im allowed 2 pints of milk, 3 diet yogurts, tea an coffee no sugar, no added sugar squash and 1-2 cups of bovril or cup of soup with no bits in. I can also add no added sugar strawberry flavour crusha to my milk to make it like a milk shake and i know some people have been allowed sugar free jellies. You should speak to your dietician an make sure ur having everything your allowed cuz it really helps.

Kirsty xx

@xk1rstyx just a thought. I'm on morphine patches for chronic pain and after my op they gave me morphine and a button to press to top up the pain relief but it wasn't that successful and they kept saying to each other (the nurses) that my patch was probably blocking my body from taking in their morphine too. They didn't really do much about it though. I was ok, off morphine after a day and a bit and I've not needed any of my additional pain relief since I got home so it settled quickly but I recommend asking them if your patch will affect your post op pain relief before the op x

Hi FeeHutch my patches are called Fentanyl im not sure if they contain morphine but its good to know. When i go for pre op 31st may i will ask them about it cuz at my last pre op i wasnt on the patches. Thanks for the heads up.

Kirsty xx

Hi Kirsty Good to hear you have started and you are managing pain and diet. I still have not had a date yet. Spoke to a woman (who I could have a few choice names for but I am going to be civil in line with my maturity!!!) who was so indecisive about whether I was gonna have it soon. first she says I have a long way to go then she says it could be after July. When I asked her is she telling me my surgery was going to be nearer August or September, she shouted at me I never said that!! Oh the dramas. Anyway in the end she said to me her system is not working and I was trying to push her for a date. I told her I was not pushing her for a date , I just wanted a proper idea of how long I could be waiting considering the surgeon told me 3-4 months (now in 5th month on waiting list) and she said 4-6 months. I have to make sure that my husband who has recently had another episode of epilepsy is not stressed as well as my son who has his own issues is well looked after. to cut a long story short still no date and my daughter who arranged six weeks off work is now going to have to take them and now I may not have anyone to look after my son. On a positive note I did go to Holland and Barret and bought their whey protein shakes which was in the penny sale at £27.99. I tried vanilla and strawberry and to be honest the vanilla was my favourite. I have planned to try the chocolate next time. Did try to find protein shakes in tesco but could not find it. (PS will start my diary soon - cant keep hijacking Kirsty's page promise :)

Hi Paula .. In regard to the protein powder , be careful with that stuff as it has a very high calorie content ..
I was told only to use it after my op , when I was on liquids and purée , and to use it instead of eating if that makes sense .. I'm back on the protein now for a couple of days as I've just had my band filled , but then I'm off it again ..
I've found the diary threads invaluable as I can go back and see how far I've come in such a short time .. Plus you can say anything on here because someone , somewhere has had the very same thought or occurrence ..
Can't wait to follow your story
Mindy
Xxx

Hi nafpnd nice to have someone on same stage as me my op is 8th june so 1 week after yours. What op are you having and where are u having it done. Yh my arthritis causes a lot of pain in my back, hips, and knees the patches help but im still in constant pain and lots of side effects.

Cant you have yogurts or bovril?
Im allowed 2 pints of milk, 3 diet yogurts, tea an coffee no sugar, no added sugar squash and 1-2 cups of bovril or cup of soup with no bits in. I can also add no added sugar strawberry flavour crusha to my milk to make it like a milk shake and i know some people have been allowed sugar free jellies. You should speak to your dietician an make sure ur having everything your allowed cuz it really helps.

Kirsty xx

I'm having rny gastric bypass with Mr Sufi at the Whittington. Sorry about your arthritis pain, am sure shedding the weight will help a lot.
Well, 1l milk and 2l of the following - water, sugar free squash, black tea or coffee (can add sweeteners) and diet soft drink according to my information sheet. The only concession the dietician gave was we can add milk to the tea/coffee from our milk allowance! I was only given the liquid options for my LSD and I choose the lactofree milk, the others were milkshakes. I choose this because sugars, simple and processed carbs set off my cravings.

Hi paula im sorry to hear you still havent got a date or even an idea of one. An i know how frustrating it is calling an bein spoken to like crap an they jus dodge your questions. You could always try calling your surgeons secretary. I know its hard planning for your op with children etc iv got the same problem and my son has ashd and autism so i feel your strougle. Jus try not to make any concrete arrangements and book time off work until you get a solid date might b less frustrating. Good value on whey protein my hospital said its the only brand they reccomend and that i can have any flavour. Dont worry about hyjacking my post its nice to hear how other peoples journeys are going.

Hi nafpnd sounds like your version of the diet is very strict im lucky i have a little variation. Not long till your op now.

Well day 3 of LSD is almost over and im tired an grumpy an hungry. Food is everywhere i look. Iv got no energy and a nasty taste in my mouth. When i tried the milk diet before i found i easier mentally cuz i knew it was only 2 weeks an at the end of it i cud go bak to eating regular meals. This time iv gotta do the diet for 3 weeks thn i do 4 more weeks liquid, thn 4 weeks puree, an finally 4 weeks mash an lumpy b4 even thinking about eating real food. Thats like 18 weeks on liquid an mush. Its a daunting thought. Im lookin forward to my op and my healthy life after it and im willing to put 100% into everything, pre and post op. Think im jus avin a tough day. I will update tomorrow and hopefully i will be having an easier day.

Kirsty xx

The nasty taste in your mouth is a good thing .. It means your in ketosis and your liver is shrinking , so your doing a good job !

Hi Kirsty Sorry to hear you are having a tough day. I am sure it will get better someone else mentioned that after day 4 or 5 you dont feel so bad after the carbs have left you. Hi Mindy I have chosen diet why protein so around 195 calories per serving on the PHD diet whey and 300 cals on the USN both from Holland and Barrett. I use it to replace meals and then have a regular lunch. So on some days I get my protein from eggs in the morning on other days I get it from a protein shake. Could not have it with a meal as well I would be stuffed lol! Not sure what they put in it but keeps me going for several hours. I only mix with water as it comes out quite creamy (already has milk in) but they do say you can have it with skimmed milk. Wanted to try it because I have decided to brave it and go back to the gym. Was on the GP exercise on referral last year and due to health issues with everyone, I found my time was limited . Now I have decided to go back but this time I hope the protein shakes help.

I was also suprised at how the protein powder can keep me going .. I love my smoothies but now have to have them sparingly :(

Well I kinda worked out that I would have to cut them out for a bit but trying to enjoy making life easy for now while getting what I need. I will be there with you soon pus side is you are doing fantastic :)

Back