• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

I hate injections, I actually have a needle phobia, how I did 5 of these wretched things never ceases to amaze me. You have me totally in awe, if my provider had said 4 weeks of those I would havd had to have serious second thoughts.

Lol I do not even like to look at the photo. :worthy:

3 weeks tomorrow missus :eek:

OMG that's aweful 42!!!! jezzz .... I had 5 days total..... I had a beautiful bruise smile by the end....your tum must be a huge bruise by now :(

That's the last one done! Whoop! No more clexane for me! It was 20 days. 2 injections a day. Bruised to high hell!!!!

I also did one the day before my op and one the day I was in hospital.

From tomorrow my meds are now only a lansaprozole, an adcal D3 tablet and the vitamin drops.

Tomorrow is 3 weeks and one more week of liquids ahead.

Roll on week 4 and purée!!!!

Yay, injections are done, what a relief. Roll on purée, it'll be heaven after so long on liquids! :)

Day 23 - post op

A quiet day at home watching the tennis, walking the dog and doing the endless washing and ironing!

My daughter is in Philadelphia so the house is quiet - other than the gentle hum of 3 industrial dehumidifiers trying to deal with the leak from May! The house is still awful - still no ground floor room being used - still no oven and still no grill :(

Thankfully on Sunday I travel to Surrey to stay in a hotel till Friday! I am delivering a training course on Equality and Human Rights Legislation - bundle of laughs that will be.

As it is a hotel - and also the week I can start puree, I am somewhat miffed that my journey to puree will not be a free fall as I will need to see what, if anything, the chef will do for me - I am taking my own stick blender and I will have proper food one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I can have eggs or a Weetabix for breakfast, will stick with soup for lunch - so it is just a case of what can be achieved for dinner!

I am feeling fine, wounds healed now - just red lines which I know will fade in time. Weight is slowly but consistency moving. I was 16 stone 6 this morning so that's more or less a stone since surgery. But my BMI pre op diet was 41.5 and today - with pre op diet and surgery just over 3 weeks ago my BMI is 35.7 - so this is the good outcome I guess.

As before I can sleep on either side, front or back. My toilet habits are still regular and without issue and I am on 2 litres of liquids a day as well as a protein shake, a soup and another shake.

I had some good news - a fellow patient from the same hospital mentioned I might have got the wrong end of the stick with the post op diet - and I had!!!!

It is not 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks puree and 4 weeks mush! Hurrah. It is 4 weeks liquids, 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks mush and then normal food at week 9 - I dance a jig of delight when I realised.

Small things make this big bird happy!

I am beginning to believe I can really manage this and for the first time in a zillion years I am excited; excited that real sustained change may actually be upon me.

Have a great weekend x

Last edited:
Day 23 - post op

A quiet day at home watching the tennis, walking the dog and doing the endless washing and ironing!

My daughter is in Philadelphia so the house is quiet - other than the gentle hum of 3 industrial dehumidifiers trying to deal with the leak from May! The house is still awful - still no ground floor room being used - still no oven and still no grill :(

Thankfully on Sunday I travel to Surrey to stay in a hotel till Friday! I am delivering a training course on Equality and Human Rights Legislation - bundle of laughs that will be.

As it is a hotel - and also the week I can start puree, I am somewhat miffed that my journey to puree will not be a free fall as I will need to see what, if anything, the chef will do for me - I am taking my own stick blender and I will have proper food one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I can have eggs or a Weetabix for breakfast, will stick with soup for lunch - so it is just a case of what can be achieved for dinner!

I am feeling fine, wounds healed now - just red lines which I know will fade in time. Weight is slowly but consistency moving. I was 16 stone 6 this morning so that's more or less a stone since surgery. But my BMI pre op diet was 41.5 and today - with pre op diet and surgery just over 3 weeks ago my BMI is 35.7 - so this is the good outcome I guess.

As before I can sleep on either side, front or back. My toilet habits are still regular and without issue and I am on 2 litres of liquids a day as well as a protein shake, a soup and another shake.

I had some good news - a fellow patient from the same hospital mentioned I might have got the wrong end of the stick with the post op diet - and I had!!!!

It is not 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks puree and 4 weeks mush! Hurrah. It is 4 weeks liquids, 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks much and then normal food at week 9 - I dance a jog of delight when I realise.

I am beginning to believe I can really manage this and for the first time in a zillion years I am excited, excited that real change may actually be upon me.

Have a great weekend x

I love reading your posts Debs, they have such a feel good vibe! You are doing so well. Good luck with the hotel, I loved off eggs and bananas in Brighton (1 banana lasted me a day) !
Good luck
Jackie
Xx

Day 23 - post op

It is not 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks puree and 4 weeks mush! Hurrah. It is 4 weeks liquids, 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks mush and then normal food at week 9 - I dance a jig of delight when I realised.

I am beginning to believe I can really manage this and for the first time in a zillion years I am excited; excited that real sustained change may actually be upon me.

Have a great weekend x

Hey op-bud.

I sent you a PM, the postie eventually bypassed the drugs squad and I got your package. :thankyou:

Oh my, how did I miss you having to camp out at home without a cooker ? How much longer do you think it will be before life can bet back to normal? Is it worth you getting one of those cheapo mini ovens, Lidl /Argos do them. Not like you will ne wanting to heat up pies for a while though ;)

They news of only 2 weeks on puree is really good, trust me on that lol I still have 4 days though, I will be honest, my diet sheet isnt all strictly puree. I mean they suggest I have a bread meal. Bread was my downfall so I dont go there but I can have chicken slices. Recommend Sainsburys basics tikka slices once you get to that stage, lovely with a spoonful of moroccan couscous.

I hope the chef at the hotel can sort you out, fish in sauce pureed is a good start. You wil only manage a couple of tablespoons anyway. Your training course sounds interesting to me but guess I might be weird lol

Have a great week either way, hope the weather stays nice and also that you do get plenty of rest.

Hugx

Day 26

Well I am at a hotel and k am not sure if it's because I am on my feet working or trying to manage hotel good - but I've been ruddy poorly in the last 24 hours!

Sunday night I arrived and despite letting them know about my dietary needs they had left me steamed fish in a white sauce for my dinner and some mash. Bear in mind I was just ending liquids in my teams programme so ideally purée was my next step. I've been great on liquids so whether that made me have false confidence I don't know. 4 spoonfuls of well chewed on
food later. Agonising pain. Dashed to the bathroom. Some spectacular sickness followed. Over and over.

Work this morning and made my way to breakfast. No yoghurt or porridge but chef had made me a very sloppy scrambled egg. Single egg. 4 mouthfuls. Well chewed. Didn't make the bathroom this time. Dashed into disabled loo. More sickness.

Was quite scared now as I was in charge of delivery a training program and was not feeling great at all!!!

Reverted to water an that was fine.

Lunch time I had smooth butternut squash soup. It stays in. Dinner I had vegetable soup, blended smooth with a little cheese. Bit dodgy but not sick.

I am staying eating soup. Sick with a sleeved stomach is not fun and all and it's a super peculiar feeling.

Everything feels a bit tender now so I am resting up on food and will hopefully feel better in a few days.

Hello restriction!!!!!!

Day 26 Well I am at a hotel and k am not sure if it's because I am on my feet working or trying to manage hotel good - but I've been ruddy poorly in the last 24 hours! Sunday night I arrived and despite letting them know about my dietary needs they had left me steamed fish in a white sauce for my dinner and some mash. Bear in mind I was just ending liquids in my teams programme so ideally purée was my next step. I've been great on liquids so whether that made me have false confidence I don't know. 4 spoonfuls of well chewed on food later. Agonising pain. Dashed to the bathroom. Some spectacular sickness followed. Over and over. Work this morning and made my way to breakfast. No yoghurt or porridge but chef had made me a very sloppy scrambled egg. Single egg. 4 mouthfuls. Well chewed. Didn't make the bathroom this time. Dashed into disabled loo. More sickness. Was quite scared now as I was in charge of delivery a training program and was not feeling great at all!!! Reverted to water an that was fine. Lunch time I had smooth butternut squash soup. It stays in. Dinner I had vegetable soup, blended smooth with a little cheese. Bit dodgy but not sick. I am staying eating soup. Sick with a sleeved stomach is not fun and all and it's a super peculiar feeling. Everything feels a bit tender now so I am resting up on food and will hopefully feel better in a few days. Hello restriction!!!!!!

Hi Debs sorry to hear you haven't been to good, but I must say I couldn't do purée and I still can't do mashed potato. I did a few days of purée then started on rice type crackers and thicker soup, I have no idea what the problem was but even puréed beans were not good. Since I started more solid type food I haven't had too much problem I can eat a bit of chicken but not beef for some reason and I still only manage half an egg omelette made in a child's frying pan. I used to adore ham but now can't even look at it, how strange. Try some crackers well chewed or Melba toast and Dutch crisp bakes they are good and crumbly in your mouth try and top with some protein, I live on crackers and a bit of cheese (well it's cracker) not plural Yoghurt was also and still is excellent mind you 1 danio pot is 3 meals for me. I know I am not eating anywhere near enough but I just can't force it in or else it just comes back. I think we need to remember how little we can eat, I was dishing up far too much then having a couple of mouth fulls feeling a bit full but still having a bit more, that has passed now and I eat out of tiny bowls just a bit bigger than an egg cup.
It must be hard being in a hotel perhaps if you buy some yoghurt they would keep in the fridge for you, then at least the day might start without your head in the bog lol I think it's all a bit trial and error as everyone is different, best of luck for tomorrow. X Kim

Day 26 Well I am at a hotel and k am not sure if it's because I am on my feet working or trying to manage hotel good - but I've been ruddy poorly in the last 24 hours! Sunday night I arrived and despite letting them know about my dietary needs they had left me steamed fish in a white sauce for my dinner and some mash. Bear in mind I was just ending liquids in my teams programme so ideally purée was my next step. I've been great on liquids so whether that made me have false confidence I don't know. 4 spoonfuls of well chewed on food later. Agonising pain. Dashed to the bathroom. Some spectacular sickness followed. Over and over. Work this morning and made my way to breakfast. No yoghurt or porridge but chef had made me a very sloppy scrambled egg. Single egg. 4 mouthfuls. Well chewed. Didn't make the bathroom this time. Dashed into disabled loo. More sickness. Was quite scared now as I was in charge of delivery a training program and was not feeling great at all!!! Reverted to water an that was fine. Lunch time I had smooth butternut squash soup. It stays in. Dinner I had vegetable soup, blended smooth with a little cheese. Bit dodgy but not sick. I am staying eating soup. Sick with a sleeved stomach is not fun and all and it's a super peculiar feeling. Everything feels a bit tender now so I am resting up on food and will hopefully feel better in a few days. Hello restriction!!!!!!

Oh Debs, how rotten for you, if you are tender then staying on liquid just to see you through till you get home might be the best course. Maybe give you team a call if you get chance, see if they can suggest anything. I am ok with just a few teaspoons of fish in sauce blended but restriction kicks in very quickly.

Is there a mini bar in your room so you could keep some yogurts or Babybels ?

Main thing is to get some calories in especially as you are working an not at home with your feet up.

I really hope you feel better tomorrow. Hugsx.

Aww how rotten! Hope you feel better soon, I'm sure it's no fun being sick (I was so lucky and never had any sickness post op - touch wood). It's difficult when you're at the mercy of catered food!!
Try and take it easy x

Day 26

Well I am at a hotel and k am not sure if it's because I am on my feet working or trying to manage hotel good - but I've been ruddy poorly in the last 24 hours!

Sunday night I arrived and despite letting them know about my dietary needs they had left me steamed fish in a white sauce for my dinner and some mash. Bear in mind I was just ending liquids in my teams programme so ideally purée was my next step. I've been great on liquids so whether that made me have false confidence I don't know. 4 spoonfuls of well chewed on
food later. Agonising pain. Dashed to the bathroom. Some spectacular sickness followed. Over and over.

Work this morning and made my way to breakfast. No yoghurt or porridge but chef had made me a very sloppy scrambled egg. Single egg. 4 mouthfuls. Well chewed. Didn't make the bathroom this time. Dashed into disabled loo. More sickness.

Was quite scared now as I was in charge of delivery a training program and was not feeling great at all!!!

Reverted to water an that was fine.

Lunch time I had smooth butternut squash soup. It stays in. Dinner I had vegetable soup, blended smooth with a little cheese. Bit dodgy but not sick.

I am staying eating soup. Sick with a sleeved stomach is not fun and all and it's a super peculiar feeling.

Everything feels a bit tender now so I am resting up on food and will hopefully feel better in a few days.

Hello restriction!!!!!!

Awww Debs, just read this. Sorry your having a rough time. I can relate to it as purée was so difficult and even now I struggle to eat more than a couple of spoonfuls. I was at work in hotel last week and really struggled. Breakfast I had a tiny bit of scrambled egg, lunch time a bit of a banana as there was nothing at all for me and teatime the same. I ate less there than I am at home which is so unusual as I usually go to town when away ha ha!
You are doing brilliant, just keep the soup and yoghurts handy as they are a godsend when nothing else.
Hope your training went well.
Take it easy
Jackie
Xxxx

Debs /Jackie could you carry some Ufit type protien milks with you for emergencies. Great meal replacements when there is nothing suitable

Day 28

4 weeks out today!

This hotel was awful at the start.

But I've recognised I need to see what my body does and not rely on what it did.

Haven't been sick since Mondays scrambled egg!

Hotel dinner today shows I've learned!!!

I had small bowl watercress soup.

Fillet of sea bass. Mash - I tablespoon - pea purée.

Mango sorbet - I tablespoon.

Ate it all. No water. Water and food is not good win me. I've worked that out!

Stayed in. No paid. Blended in. All good :)

Day 28 4 weeks out today! This hotel was awful at the start. But I've recognised I need to see what my body does and not rely on what it did. Haven't been sick since Mondays scrambled egg! Hotel dinner today shows I've learned!!! I had small bowl watercress soup. Fillet of sea bass. Mash - I tablespoon - pea purée. Mango sorbet - I tablespoon. Ate it all. No water. Water and food is not good win me. I've worked that out! Stayed in. No paid. Blended in. All good :)

Now that sounds much better :). I've been worried about you since you posted about being sick, its really good to hear you are managing food OK.

Hard to believe we are 4 weeks out. Where did the time go?

Hugx.

That's good news. Maybe it was just the shock to the system!

I'm convinced my sleeved stomach can't be sick. I can wretch- often. I can feel sick - fairly often too. But as for the actual act, now nothing. So strange how we all react different.

Love your updates.

I can throw up and it's weird, lots of wrenching mouse and about a mouthful and that's it done! I throw up if I eat too much, I start with the slime first!

I am definitely competent at being sick. Is more gentle that when I had a huge stomach but it's still fairly spectacular now with my grumpy sleeve!

Hey op-buddy how's it going? Hope you are well. :)

Hugx

Back