• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

I have discovered that 'burps' are both my sign that I need to eat and also a sign that I am full. It is so weird isn't it? xx

My only medication on top of vitamin concoctions is Lansaprozole. I have one 30mg tablet a day. Prior to surgery I took one 20mg omeprazole each day.

Whether the dosage is insufficient I don't know. I know sleeve should stay on a PPI for life.

I am at GP on Tueaday and will discuss. I don't see the WLS team till September some 14 weeks after my surgery!

X

My only medication on top of vitamin concoctions is Lansaprozole. I have one 30mg tablet a day. Prior to surgery I took one 20mg omeprazole each day. Whether the dosage is insufficient I don't know. I know sleeve should stay on a PPI for life. I am at GP on Tueaday and will discuss. I don't see the WLS team till September some 14 weeks after my surgery! X

Yes worth mentioning the reflux to the GP gen. I am on 80mg a day, 40 morning and evening. Is your team not reachable by phone or email? Surely they don't expect you to wait 14 weeks if you have problems?

They are reachable in that I can speak leave a phone message for the bariatric nurse or the dietician and in due course they call me back. Being a NHS hospital they are very busy and I am hearing platitude after platitude. I don't feel it's a problem which is serious. Just something which might be avoidable if time could be invested in resolving. My GP is a nice chap - but not had a sleeved patient before. His appointments are 5 mins long so it's not great for discussion.

I am not complaining. I am extremely lucky to have had the surgery and I am thankful.

I just am in a bit of a rut and I guess the euphoria of getting the surgery has now ebbed away and we are now left with picking out how we manage the surgery for the rest of our lives.

My house is truly getting me down. The drying hasn't worked and now they are querying another leak. This means more investigations. We are already eating in our bedrooms and have no usable ground floor space. I am cooking with a hob and a convection microwave and it's less than ideal. I've no idea when it will be resolved and they are still saying some of this could be an existing fault - which I guess means I pay?

Anyhow. I will push on. I am not in pain as I said. It's just a little draining.

Hope everyone is well. Hugs x

Well today has been a good day - I have not had the slightest hint of the foamies and I have eaten really well!

For breakfast I had a protein bar and an all milk (plus marvel) decaff coffee

For lunch I had an 'up beat' milk protein drink from Tesco - 20gms of protein! I also had a nectarine!!!! realised skin wasn't good so avoided that after bite one - but managed the flesh.

Mid afternoon I had some mash with grated cheese and beans - again about a tablespoon of each item.

Dinner was cold plate of prawns in a light sauce, cottage cheese, and a bit of tinned tuna - about a tablespoon of each - all in without effort!!!

Its just over 850 calories and 73gms of protein.

Went to see the GP - he has kept my lansaprozole at 30gms but split it into 2 x 15gm pills to see if this helps.

He also renewed my sickness pills whilst I am progressing on to solids - just as a belt and braces approach.

My other news is that I am diving into the charity shops and picking up size 20s and some 18s - 18 wont fit now at all but I found things which had still got labels on and it seem daft not to - a John Rocha blouse with a £20 sale label on from Debenhams and sold by Oxfam for £3 = result!

I know many think charity shops are not for them - but I donate my items as a way of giving to charity and if I can pick a few things up to move me to the next size - all good in my book.

Anyhow - trust everyone is ok and catch up soon x

Hi Debs,

So glad to see that you're doing so well. Seems like you've got a handle on what works in terms of diet. It must be really difficult and quite scary once you move in to solids. The fear of how each food item is going to react with your new sleeve. It seems that everybody is so different and so there are very few hard set rules.

I LOVE buying from charity shops. It's a perfect place to buy as you're losing weight. Big congrats on your journey down the dress sizes..!

Hope you have some positive news about your house soon.

Take care, Claire x

Hi op-bud

Glad you seem to be finding it easier with food and I hope splitting the PPI helps.

Given how many 'new with tags' items of clothing I have personally handed into Barnardos I can concur these are great places to find bargains as we rapidly ( or not in my case lol ) lose weight. I have a great pair of boyfriend jeans I bought at a sale ( was an annual party for WL people on another site) cost me £3 and I will be over the moon once I can get back into them. Can also recommend TKmaXx.

You mentioned feeling in a rut in an earlier post, me too. I think its due to the anticlimatic nature of WLS. All that counting down and prep for the op then, a few weeks after especially if like us the weight loss is moderate, bang down to earth.
I had a friend who cried all the way home from her honeymoon, literally cos she felt she had nothing to look forward too. Think thats us atm hun :8855: Whats require is a bit of patience and in my case some freakin sunshine and in yours a house that functions.

Take care. Ps hope to get down to post office today, been a bit hectic here as my hubby has gone into 'clear out' mode which has turned the house upside down. Think he is hormonal :eek:

Hugx

Greed and Ignoring Signals!

This post is to confess my greed!!

A few days ago I was really having a difficult couple of days - it was like my sleeve was in a bad mood and everything I tried was feeling stuck or causing reflux or generally being hard work.

Tuesday this week suddenly it was though my sleeve was no longer grumpy and food was going in little and often and healthily. Phew - relief!

Yesterday I managed 1 Weetabix and milk for breakfast but I felt I was still a bit hungry.

Today - greedy guts Debs decided to push for 2 Weetabix's for her breakfast as she had got to 12 midday and had not eaten.

Sleeve was NOT impressed and it is now an angry thing again! Like a volcano which is spewing instead of being dormant!

What makes it flipping worse was at 1.5 Weetabix I did the warning burp - which after 6 weeks of living with this easily offended sleeve of mine - I know full well means - stop or proceed at your peril.

Sigh - gripping pain and over salivating. I predict foamies by 1.30pm

Dumb Dumb Dumb on my part.

Moral of this tale - when you burp and your sleeve has only just stopped being grumpy - don't make it grumpy and sore again within 48 hours.

I am off to sit on the naughty step and await the sickness!!!!!!!!!!!

don't be hard on yourself. it does take a while to get used to the new stomach and stop listening to the brain saying, eat eat... don't worry, stomach will win soon and you will regulate your intake better.
I am just about learning to serve, buy what I need -the habit makes us to add that bit of extra this, a bit of that....
I also noticed eating fast (got back to old days again) makes my sleeve unhappy. I had a bad experience with peaches! I love peaches and I think ate too much, too fast the other day.... now I approach with caution...
good luck to you.

Well my sleeve did not actually spew back the weetabix. Both stayed in but it was uncomfortable for 2 hours. So relieved to avoid actually being sick! Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Well my sleeve did not actually spew back the weetabix. Both stayed in but it was uncomfortable for 2 hours. So relieved to avoid actually being sick! Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Only just seen your weetabix adventure and glad to see it stayed down. Every day is a learning curve but I have a feeling something happens 6 weeks out that makes you want to push it. Not going to go into details bit yesterday was a bad one for me , head hunger and that feeling of wanting to push things... Old self destruct button rearing its head. So do you find weetabix more filling than porridge?

Only just seen your weetabix adventure and glad to see it stayed down. Every day is a learning curve but I have a feeling something happens 6 weeks out that makes you want to push it. Not going to go into details bit yesterday was a bad one for me , head hunger and that feeling of wanting to push things... Old self destruct button rearing its head. So do you find weetabix more filling than porridge?

I do find the weetabix filling. It's also easy for me just plonk it in a bowl! I selected it due to it having added iron - will see what porridge nutrients are and compare
X

I've upped my calories the last 3-4 days as I hadn't lost an ounce in 15 days! I know a stall is normal but when you are stalling from week 4-6 it's mildly worrying especially on 700 calories!

Anyhow my appetite has returned a little and my sleeve had been less grumpy so I was up to 900-1000 calories and mainly focused on protein.

Today I had a loss! So hopefully the slow wheel of weight loss is juddering back into slow action!

That said the app says I have lost over 30% of my excess weight since I started my liver reduction diet

Have a fab weekend all xx

Attachments

• image-204458205.jpg
    image-204458205.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I've upped my calories the last 3-4 days as I hadn't lost an ounce in 15 days! I know a stall is normal but when you are stalling from week 4-6 it's mildly worrying especially on 700 calories!

Anyhow my appetite has returned a little and my sleeve had been less grumpy so I was up to 900-1000 calories and mainly focused on protein.

Today I had a loss! So hopefully the slow wheel of weigh loss is juddering back into slow action!

That said the app says I have lost over 30% of my excess weight since I started my liver reduction diet

Have a fab weekend all xx

Well done deb glad your slowly losing again.

What app do you use?

Kirsty xx

Sound good to me Debs. Well done..!

Back