• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Preprations

Hi trish I have some mad moments and funny thoughts but then I think of the reasons why I'm having it done. It has taken me two years in total to get this far because I did believe I would lose wright myself and I did try but could never lose more than a stone and you know the story I put on twice as much, get fed up start again same thing. I also though I wouldn't qualify after seeing the guy I think he was from Tamworth a retired policeman it was on the news because he was going to the high court to get the decision not to operate overturned. he had lots of issues and they still said no, I had only ever thought about it to myself thinking my hubby would think I've lost the plot. But after a visit to the orthopaedic and the consultant suggesting it I told hubby I had been thinking about it and he was 100% behind me. To be fair it's been a year this month in this part of the process so not as long as I thought I was going to have to wait. I just wish it would hurry up and get here I just want it over with and start the recovery. Also I'm fed up at work and need some time out which this gives me the ideal opportunity a bit desperate I know but got to something to get time of lol

Know those of us that haven't had surgery yet are still a bit in the dark about the days that follow and I know no question is silly so I want to ask you nice folks a question or two that keep going around in my mind. Before you have surgery you can drink a cup of anything after a few weeks when you start to eat proper food again can you drink out of a bottle the same way you did before surgery or do you have to still sip. What about taking medication can you put them in your mouth and take a big mouthful of water to wash them down. I'm a bit paranoid about taking tablets and not having enough water to wash them down I can drink half a small bottle of water taking my morning/ evening tablets. I know it's just a small thing but I just want your advice. The other question is I keep reading about slim fast are people using that as a meal replacement in the first few weeks until you can eat normal food. Thanks for reading I look forward to your replies :)

Slimfast was never even mentioned to me. From the op I made most of my own meals using fresh fruit n veg with good sources of protein mostly fresh. Also a gulp of water can hurt in the early days you nneed to take one tablet ata time with only a small sip of liquid , you can increase it as time goes on but it takes aa while to get used to. But it will hurt of you gulp. x

1- re drinking-- what I understand its still best to sip for a while from a mug/cup/bottle as you could over fill your tummy too quick and make yourself ill by doing so
2-medication-- I was told yesterday when at the pre assessment meeting that its best for a while to see if your medication comes in either chewable or liquid or soluble or can be crushed as some tablets are big and could get stuck on the way down
3- slim fast-- im using slim fast now as a kick start to my LSD as im doing what im calling a bonus week (should start the real LSD on the 21 Aug)and maybe will use them after the WLS just in case I still cant face real food
I hope that helps a little im sure others will swing by soon

Know those of us that haven't had surgery yet are still a bit in the dark about the days that follow and I know no question is silly so I want to ask you nice folks a question or two that keep going around in my mind. Before you have surgery you can drink a cup of anything after a few weeks when you start to eat proper food again can you drink out of a bottle the same way you did before surgery or do you have to still sip. What about taking medication can you put them in your mouth and take a big mouthful of water to wash them down. I'm a bit paranoid about taking tablets and not having enough water to wash them down I can drink half a small bottle of water taking my morning/ evening tablets. I know it's just a small thing but I just want your advice. The other question is I keep reading about slim fast are people using that as a meal replacement in the first few weeks until you can eat normal food. Thanks for reading I look forward to your replies :)
Hi Mouse

I was given liquid forms of some of my medication for the first few weeks - it was quite a process and I needed a firm approach. I have to say though it tasted horrible. For the other tabs - I bought a pill crusher from Boots - really cheap and very effective. I now crush all of my tablets and take them with a spoonful of yogurt - so I can't taste them. As for Slimfast - I was told that you could have it, but I didn't like the taste - I used flavoured whey protein. xx

Hi Mouse
Thank you for asking this question, yes this is worrying me about my tablets.

Another Question: Do you need to see your Doctor before the surgery to sort out medication, or does the hospital do this for you.
I know I will have trouble with my Doctor, about this.

Hi Mouse
Thank you for asking this question, yes this is worrying me about my tablets.

Another Question: Do you need to see your Doctor before the surgery to sort out medication, or does the hospital do this for you.
I know I will have trouble with my Doctor, about this.
Hi - I had to see the doctor - and I kept asking different doctors at the surgery until I got one to take me seriously. The hospital only provided the injections. Xx

Thanks Chisyd
looks like I will be seeing alot of Doctors, as my Doctor doesn't want me to have it done. :sigh:

Thanks Chisyd
looks like I will be seeing alot of Doctors, as my Doctor doesn't want me to have it done. :sigh:
I sympathise with you - I had a great and supportive doctor who recommended me and then I moved and my new doc is not at all supportive - but it was too late for him to cause me many problems. Last month a new doctor who understands joined the practice - so I know only consult him. Hang on in there - it is worth it xx

Hi chrisyd and willow4, you have to get you medication from yourGP because they have prescribed them for you and the hospital are only interested in the surgery they are going to carry out. I have already been in discussion with my GP who has been supported and they know I will need liquid or the alternative is up your bum job ( my husband will love that job not lol) it was more the long term after effects about drinking water but thanks to all of you for answers

Hi Mouse
Thank you very much, I will make appointment on Monday and see what they have to say.

Sorry to high jack your post.

Willow4 glad my question was of use to others we are all on here to find out more and the more questions the more we know. I'm glad I found this site. Good luck on Monday you'll have to let us know how you got on :)

Hi Mouse
Thank you. Yes I am also pleased I found this site, its helped me alot already.
It will soon be October then its your turn, wishing you all the best on your journey.

Okay mouse I will start by saying that every body and every provider is different and it's really best to stick with what they tell you ;)...but I will give you my personal experiences ..

Before you have surgery you can drink a cup of anything after a few weeks ... no alcohol for at least 6months (I was told a year).
Nothing with any fizz. There are a few that get away with defizzing their "soda" but I for one can't, even a small bit of fizz can give my pouch gyp for hours after.
Personally I can't tolerate sweet drinks as I dump easily and any way we really shouldn't be drinking them anyway ;)
In the initial months of surgery you may struggle with hot or cold drinks. Its one of those things that affect us all differently

can you drink out of a bottle the same way you did before surgery or do you have to still sip ...
I still can't swig back on anything or gulp down a drink. It's hard to explain but it kind of gets stuck and sits like a lump in my pouch and hurts. As regards meds I was told to get mine in either liquid or dispersible form several weeks beforehand. I still take them that way a year out

The other question is I keep reading about slim fast are people using that as a meal replacement in the first few weeks until you can eat normal food...
This is one of those questions that crops up a lot on here and it varies with every provider. Mine are dead against any form of liquid meal replacement as many come with a high sugar content & their ethos is to eat "normal" foods. In the early days I did foolishly try one (I had them in my larder from when I had my balloon in). I dumped big style so no thank you ;)

Hope this helps and never be scared to ask questions hun:) xxx

Last edited:

Hi there I had a gastric sleeve and I found for the first few weeks I was sipping my drink, however now (7 weeks on) I can have a glass of water however I will take my time to drink it rather than gulping it down in one go. With medication I have not found a problem with taking a large mouthful of water with a tablet. As for slimfast different providers have different views, mine was dead against them as they felt its important to get used to eating normal but healthy foods - however provider gives slightly different advice.

I concur with all that Frankie has said. It is complex as no two bypassers are the same - and providers vary amazingly in the advice they give. Mine is very strict and like Frankie's, meal replacements shakes were very much 'banned' due to the sugar content and the ethos of sticking to three high protein meals a day on "granny's teaplate" and no snacking between. To put the sugar thing into perspective: bypassers should aim for max 5% sugar. And Activia Light yog is around 14-17%! Every bypasser is different and will be able to tolerate differently - TBH dumping on the lower end of the spectrum is great for weightloss but does restrict the food choices. But once you find your limit and cross it, the consequences are grim and are a deterrent against doing it again (the first time I thought I was going to die, and that was on some NAS Angel Delight which I had whipped-up in a moment of madness and neglected to check the small print).

The pill taking - if you have a bypass you will have to take a cocktail of supplements every day for the rest of your life. I also bought a pill splitter. I had my bypass over a year ago and have only recently been able to swallow them whole. TBH I still struggle to wash them down but can get my morning ones down now in three slow wide-spaced 'hits'.

The early months post op are challenging that cannot be denied, but the rewards greatly outweigh the negatives.

Good luck with your journey. We are here and will offer whatever support we can to newbies. We've been through it, and are such a bunch of losers xxx

A big thank you ladies it's so good to get the information first hand. I'm suer my GP will have to alter my tablets because they are a Retard type so I will either have to take spoonfuls of pain killers or a rectal type which I would struggle with and although hubby will if need be do it, it's not very romantic if you know where I'm coming from after all he's not my carer. I know it will be trial and error but it's nice to discuss it with real people because the professional tend to read from a script and not all books suit everyone lol thanks again :)

Even my tramdol is dispersable ...it's foul but needs must lol

I was never offered any liquid forms of meds so basically just had to get on with it. It was a a struggle at first but I did it. 3 years out almost 20/08/2014 I can drink little but of fizzy but have to sip it because I can feel it. Tend to have cheap low cal lemonade now cos its not that fizzy or draught lemonade if I am out in a pub. x I still can at times forget and go to gulp water or tea and pain can occur still. It is trial and error really and everyone finds there own way of coping if you feel restricted or pained then you have done something you are not supposed to you have to learn to start and listen to your body. My docs wouldn't even prescribe vitamins as some do always had to buy them. WE are all different and yes providers are too. YOu just have to work with what you are given. Some have more restriction after the op and some have less. I still have good restriction. Can still eat crap at times and that is ,my downfall. My portions are still on a tea plate but I still like biscuits and other sweet stuff just have to limit them, only in great amounts would they make me dump. I couldn't eat a full bar of anything only a freddo or chomp but other than that I would be sweating and shaking, 2 Weetabix does that to me, yet 1 is fine. strange I know. xx

It makes me wonder what GPs are trying to prove don't they relies the more help they give the less you see them thanks for advice :)

Back