• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ticking the boxes. clairemp's pre op diary..

Hi Lin, doing okay thank you. The most pain I have is the from the big port, the one they drag your stomach out of. I'm finding that really pulls when I move but I'm sure it'll get better each day.

I seem to be able to get fluids in okay. I surprised myself by drinking a whole cup of coffee today.

I didn't really suffer with wind pain too much although it's making its exit from my body in various ways..!

Don't feel hungry although it's only day 3 post surgery.

I don't have a routine yet but I'm trying to plan my day around fluids, protein shakes, vitamins and soup. Definitely a learning curve..!

Hope you're feeling ready for yours. Not long at all..!

Xx

It's early days yet Claire, it sounds like you are doing well a whole cup of coffee is good hope you managed to drink it while it was still warm :). I suppose we should expect a little pain most of our stomach being pulled out of such a small port. Look after yourself. Xx

So I'm now day 5 post op.

I'm feeling okay, still very tired. Had a shower today and changed the dressing on the big left side port.

Wow, it's about 2 inches long. My consultant said it'd be bigger and it is. It's really the only thing that hurts. If it wasn't for that I'd be pain free.

I'm managing fluids fine and can get through a glass in a timely manner.

The thing I'm really struggling with are the protein shakes. I just can't stand the saccharin taste and the texture of them. Guess I just need to find a way to cope.

So I'm now day 5 post op.

I'm feeling okay, still very tired. Had a shower today and changed the dressing on the big left side port.

Wow, it's about 2 inches long. My consultant said it'd be bigger and it is. It's really the only thing that hurts. If it wasn't for that I'd be pain free.

I'm managing fluids fine and can get through a glass in a timely manner.

The thing I'm really struggling with are the protein shakes. I just can't stand the saccharin taste and the texture of them. Guess I just need to find a way to cope.

Your doing great claire jus stick with it. I bet its so strange being post op when are u back at the hospital for check up.

Kirsty xx

Claire, I've been having watered down Covent Garden soups with marvel powder in and to be honest it's not bad I've had roasted tomato and leek and spud both taste lovely after nothing but water. I'm unsure if this would be recommended by your dietary consultant or not but its what mine advised.

Try the ready made slimfasts Claire. I was having two per day and they tasted really nice with ice. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Kirsty, back in 4-6 weeks. That'll be the first time I weigh as I can't stand on normal scales. I'll have to be patient.

Beep, I'll give it a go. I like soup so shouldn't cause me a problem..

Lisa, I'll try what you suggest too. I'm just being a wuss :)

Hi Kirsty, back in 4-6 weeks. That'll be the first time I weigh as I can't stand on normal scales. I'll have to be patient.

Beep, I'll give it a go. I like soup so shouldn't cause me a problem..

Lisa, I'll try what you suggest too. I'm just being a wuss :)

I will b good waiting to weigh in that long cuz u will hopefully see a nice big loss. Your not a wuss im sure its very hard. Looks like you got some good post op buddies to give you plenty of advice xx

Wow Claire, just imagine the loss you will see. I don't like the slim fast drinks they tasted so sweet, so my daughter let me taste her tesco ultra slim drinks. The strawberry was really nice. That may give you another option. X

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

PANIC..! I just mindlessly put a piece of sausage in my mouth, chewed it, realised what I was doing and spat it out before I could swallow it..! I think I swallowed a few tiny little bits. What a lesson I've just learned. Like how to get the kids to clean their own blooming plates and what a 'bored' eater I was before. Do you think those tiny little could do some damage..? I'm 10 days post op.. :(

I'm not even hungry..

Not at all Claire.

Xx

Thanks Hun, how're you feeling..? Still in pain..? xx

Claire, don't beat yourself up about it, you realised before it went anywhere other than the bin. I bet lots of people have done it, makes you realise how our brains work. Onwards and upwards. Xxxx

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Thanks Hun, how're you feeling..? Still in pain..? xx

Not having a very good time of it ATM which this bloomin reflux. I am feeling quite drained and a bit low.

Been signed off work for two weeks which doesn't bode well with work. My GP said he doesn't think I should have to wait until March to see my consultant, and he is going to write to him. GP is also arranging for me to have a camera down to see what's going on. He said this shouldn't be happening.

I have been sleeping in my recliner chair to prevent the night time reflux. But now, it's happening during the day. Sometimes it happens when I am eating and it's awful. It also sometimes happened during exercise which is embarrassing.

So I'm 12 days post op today and feel really well.

I'm still on fluids, although I have to say I'm struggling with this stage a bit. I'm always in ketosis and I'm surprised how well I feel while taking I'm so little.

I'm managing to get in all my vits etc and tomorrow come to the end of the clexane shots.

I'm so looking forward to moving on to purees. I really want to know what restriction feels like. I know there isn't any rush but at the moment only the scars on my stomach prove that something happened in there.

I can't weigh myself as I need sit on scales, but I think I'm losing. Well. I must be I'm only living on fresh air..!

So I'm absolutely desperate to be weighed but I have to wait for scales that I can sit on. I might get in touch with the dietitian and see if I can go in and use theirs..

So I've moved on to purees. I started this morning with sloppy Weetabix, had soup and then purees carrots and swede. I'm not very prepared. I think I'll have todo some reading and make something tasty because the thought of pureed fish pie or Shepards pie turns my storms have a bit.

I'm still in ketosis, which is amazing..! I certainly don't feel any ill effect from managing on so few calories. In fact it's quite liberating not to be a slave to food.

Having said that, I think I felt hungry today but it soon passed so wasn't a problem.

NSV already..? YES!! Ive noticed that when I stand up from my wheelchair I'm starting to stand up a lot easier. This is massive for me so I'm very happy.

Hope you're all well

Xx

Amazing progress claire im so happy for you xx

Back