• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so it begins...Kirsty's journey to a sleeve!!

Thinking of you. Hope it's gone well and we are just sitting now and waiting for you to announce your date! I was almost in the exact same position last year so I can truly recall how intense the feelings were - best wishes xx

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My appointment went amazing hes given me the green light an said i am to go on low risk list. Gave me a prescription for clexane injection i have to give myself the night before surgery and he said i can choose my pre op diet and that i have to do it for 3 weeks. Im jus waitin to get my surgery date in post now. Debs how long did it take for u to get a date after seeing mr yousef. Im so happy excited and relieved im at the end of my journey.

Kirsty xx

Hospital said if i call them friday they should be able to give me a date then xx

Hospital said if i call them friday they should be able to give me a date then xx

That's the best news Kirsty. Can't wait for you to get that all important date!! Xx

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My appointment went amazing hes given me the green light an said i am to go on low risk list. Gave me a prescription for clexane injection i have to give myself the night before surgery and he said i can choose my pre op diet and that i have to do it for 3 weeks. Im jus waitin to get my surgery date in post now. Debs how long did it take for u to get a date after seeing mr yousef. Im so happy excited and relieved im at the end of my journey. Kirsty xx

I waited no more than 10 days for the date - my appointment was in March and my op was scheduled for May 2015 xxx

Thanks everyone as soon as i get my date u will all b the first to know. Im wondering now whats best to take in hospital bag. I know the usual stuff like slippers pjs etc was wonderin if u guys took somethin that u found really usefull or if there is things u wish you had took. And also anythin that was useless so wouldnt recommend takin.

Kirsty xx

Thanks everyone as soon as i get my date u will all b the first to know. Im wondering now whats best to take in hospital bag. I know the usual stuff like slippers pjs etc was wonderin if u guys took somethin that u found really usefull or if there is things u wish you had took. And also anythin that was useless so wouldnt recommend takin. Kirsty xx

I wish I'd taken much less!!! Lol!!! I scoured the boards for a list and amassed lots of stuff etc! Needed so little it was daft!

It was my first op at Walsall. Turned up with a little suitcase lol. Of course, you're not allocated a bed until after surgery so you sit in the 'departure' lounge with the bag till you're called. Then into a changing area, gown up. Put on slippers or flip flops and your own dressing gown over the top of their theatre gown and walk to theatre. They take your bag/handbag etc and porters move it to wherever your bed will end up. As I had gone to hospital alone it meant my phone, purse and cash were wondering around the hospital whilst my surgery went ahead

I woke on a monitor and a drip so they left me in my gown. I was exhausted. Not agony at all but overwhelming tiredness - so I slept on and off. No iPad or puzzle books thus needed by me.

I wasn't allowed anything other than water on day one. So no fruit tea was needed for that day.

Next day I got up and showered - so wash kit and own tower was nice. Into legging and baggy top. Kicked out at 1300 hours that day.

Eye mask and ear plugs were heaven. Ward was super busy with some very ill ladies and very noisy. Blinds were broken so eye mask helped. Lip salve was a saviour. The plug for my phone was some way behind the bed so my extra long lead was a god send. I just used it to text and reassure my family.

I recovered well I believe but those first 24 hours were a blur of just being monitored and the constant noise and exhaustion. X

I wish I'd taken much less!!! Lol!!! I scoured the boards for a list and amassed lots of stuff etc! Needed so little it was daft!

It was my first op at Walsall. Turned up with a little suitcase lol. Of course, you're not allocated a bed until after surgery so you sit in the 'departure' lounge with the bag till you're called. Then into a changing area, gown up. Put on slippers or flip flops and your own dressing gown over the top of their theatre gown and walk to theatre. They take your bag/handbag etc and porters move it to wherever your bed will end up. As I had gone to hospital alone it meant my phone, purse and cash were wondering around the hospital whilst my surgery went ahead

I woke on a monitor and a drip so they left me in my gown. I was exhausted. Not agony at all but overwhelming tiredness - so I slept on and off. No iPad or puzzle books thus needed by me.

I wasn't allowed anything other than water on day one. So no fruit tea was needed for that day.

Next day I got up and showered - so wash kit and own tower was nice. Into legging and baggy top. Kicked out at 1300 hours that day.

Eye mask and ear plugs were heaven. Ward was super busy with some very ill ladies and very noisy. Blinds were broken so eye mask helped. Lip salve was a saviour. The plug for my phone was some way behind the bed so my extra long lead was a god send. I just used it to text and reassure my family.

I recovered well I believe but those first 24 hours were a blur of just being monitored and the constant noise and exhaustion. X

Thats really helpfull debs thank you. Can i ask where is the arrivals lounge. Iv only been to route 104 and 108. Iv never been manor before so thats my whole knowledge haha. Oh an for a blood test. How long was you waiting on the day before goin to theatre. Im takin my husband with me so can leave any important stuff with him. I had a phone call at 8.15 this mornin from some snotty woman sayin someone will call me with my date so im not gna bother calling friday will just wait fot them to call me. Im not lookin forward to 3 weeks of milk diet tho.

Kirsty xx

I took long nighties so I had nothing touching my middle, (apart from pants), wash kit, book but I just watched tv, mobile, charger, dressing gown and slippers, I came home in nightie and dressing gown as it was much more comfy, pillow for tummy, it was fine x

Thats really helpfull debs thank you. Can i ask where is the arrivals lounge. Iv only been to route 104 and 108. Iv never been manor before so thats my whole knowledge haha. Oh an for a blood test. How long was you waiting on the day before goin to theatre. Im takin my husband with me so can leave any important stuff with him. I had a phone call at 8.15 this mornin from some snotty woman sayin someone will call me with my date so im not gna bother calling friday will just wait fot them to call me. Im not lookin forward to 3 weeks of milk diet tho. Kirsty xx

I've only one experience so forgive me if I am wrong but as I recall I went in as usual at the front and up one flight where the coffee bar is and then walked to the right of there. It's all very clearly signed. When I go to the 'departure lounge' there were quite a few people there who were all having procedures. Some as day cases and some who were then expecting to stay. I had to be there for 0700 -0730 as did everyone else. There appeared to be 6 of us on the wls list. I was originally told I would be last on at around 2.30pm. All 6 of us had a quick 5-10
With the surgeon. They weighted us and gave us meds. Checks we were not pregnant and did blood sugars etc and blood pressure etc etc.

But having settled down for a long wait at 0915 they took me in first! I walked into the actual theatre at 0930 which did freak me a little as with my many prior surgery I was knocked out on the gurney just in the anti room. At Walsall I actually walked into the main room itself and climbed onto the actual bed that they did the surgery on. Lol.

I was in recovery before 11am as I recall seeing it was 11.02 when I was with it enough to spot the clock etc. Went onto the ward at 1130. The anaesthesia did make me super groggy and tired. My pain was extremely manageable though.

It won't be long now sweetheart xxx

I've only one experience so forgive me if I am wrong but as I recall I went in as usual at the front and up one flight where the coffee bar is and then walked to the right of there. It's all very clearly signed. When I go to the 'departure lounge' there were quite a few people there who were all having procedures. Some as day cases and some who were then expecting to stay. I had to be there for 0700 -0730 as did everyone else. There appeared to be 6 of us on the wls list. I was originally told I would be last on at around 2.30pm. All 6 of us had a quick 5-10
With the surgeon. They weighted us and gave us meds. Checks we were not pregnant and did blood sugars etc and blood pressure etc etc.

But having settled down for a long wait at 0915 they took me in first! I walked into the actual theatre at 0930 which did freak me a little as with my many prior surgery I was knocked out on the gurney just in the anti room. At Walsall I actually walked into the main room itself and climbed onto the actual bed that they did the surgery on. Lol.

I was in recovery before 11am as I recall seeing it was 11.02 when I was with it enough to spot the clock etc. Went onto the ward at 1130. The anaesthesia did make me super groggy and tired. My pain was extremely manageable though.

It won't be long now sweetheart xxx

As always debs anothet very helpful post thank you. Still no date yet hopin to hear something this week. Are you back at manor anytime soon xx

Still no date yet hoping to hear somthin next week. Im no longer desperate to hear from hospital jus decided to relax an wait for the call it wont b too long im sure.

Kirsty xx

3 weeks since my final appointment and still no date. I was promised surgery in april it then went to may and today the woman in patient access tells me it might even be june. The whole process has been ok and i know takes time but this is because the woman is jus taking forever to get through clinics an she got a back log from when she went on holiday. Hate to be a moaner but i jus want my date now its so close yet so far an keeps getter further away.

Kirsty xx

Hi Kirsty

I have been reading your diary and I too have been in a similar boat. I was first told it could be as early as April now it may not be until July or later. I have now decided to focus on improving my eating and have even attempted a yoga class. I am trying not to think about it too much now not until I get that letter in my hand. Hope you get the call/letter you want soon

This is an incredible diary, you've come so far already! I cant wait to be in your position and hopefully my journey will start one day soon. I just need to see the doctor first... :D

Don't despair Kirsty. It's out of your control and I know when I get anxious/stressed/fed up etc I often fall into destructive behaviour. Pre op especially I would end up eating badly as a reaction to the frustration. I had the same issue last year. My pre op was end of Feb and they said it would be April. As you know I ended up having to have my pre op repeated as the tests has 'expired' and indeed my op was June 10th. Now that all seems a life time away but at the time is was a huge deal. In fact a week or two makes no difference to your journey in the biggest sense. It will happen. You will get your tool and you will work with it to achieve well deserved success. In the meantime you can spend the day mildly cross that she has not sorted it - or accept it will be your turn and enjoy using the time to get things sorted. I am glad I spent time sorting the house, kitchen cupboards,fridge and freezer as I was whacked post surgery and didn't fancy chores at all!!!!
Make the most of your planning time - your sleeve will be around for the rest of your life. You will change your life for good - indeed you already are X

Oh dear. This wait is a killer, isn't it? I hope you get some news really soon Kirsty xx

Back