• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

Deb if you never saw mr Khan who did u sign your consent forms with was it another surgeon or one of the other team members xx

Deb if you never saw mr Khan who did u sign your consent forms with was it another surgeon or one of the other team members xx

I am trying to remember the name of the doctor who sits on the clinics. Something like Dr Hartland his name is. I was consented by him. He also saw me afterwards at my September follow up. He told me they had found considerable scar tissue from the prior gall bladder surgery and my pancreatitis. Scary in a way!

I am also seeing Mr Kendrick soon. When the date comes I will let you know. We may be there together!

Well I am now 17 and a half weeks out.

I have not real debilitating side effects from the surgery.

Using the loo which seems to be an issue for many - has been problem free for me. I go daily and I don't take anything to help me or to stop me. It just works. Some foods can cause loose movements - but that's exactly how it was pre op so I don't consider it an issue.

I have coped ok with stomach acid / reflux. I did have some discomfort at the outset but that's the proximity of surgery I guess. I take 30mgs of lansaprozole each day and it seems to be fine. Hope that stays the same.

I do gurgle and it's loud! My digestive tract can be like a booming sound box! The gurgling makes people at home laugh. It's definitely not a quiet one!

Burping is my new norm. I am rarely sick anymore. But uncontrolled and loud burping is almost daily. And again it's loud. Eek!!!

I was a pound of 19 stone when I started the liver diet. I wore a size 24 - admittedly I could not stand anything cutting into me and would buy as big as I needed.

Today I am 14 stone 9lbs. My BMI has moved from 41.5 to 32 with a total loss of 4 stones and 4 lbs although a stone and a half was in my 6 week pre op diet. I am wearing size 18s. Some 16s and some 20s as I still don't like anything tight!

My scars are neat and fading. My skin at the top of my thighs is baggy. My neck is a little and my boobs have been hit the worst. In a decent bra they are in the right place - out of one they sag excessively and have no shape or form - deflated I guess. But it's all cosmetic as health wise I am ok.

This is me now. I figured it's only like a bikini. Sorry for any offence just wanted to show how the scars have settled

Attachments

• image-2886824632.jpg
    image-2886824632.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 75
I know who you mean he is the pysician i saw him at my first appointment he was really nice. Im hoping when i see mr kendrick in clinic november 20th if he says im gd to go that they let me do consent that day with some one then will jus b dr yousef and pre op to do. Its moving faster than i thought it would. If we are there the same time id love to gram a coffee and have a chat if thats ok.

Well done on your progress and thanks for sharing your kind of side effects. And the pic ls not offensive you look great. Could u post a before and after pic soon

Kirsty xx

Debs I think you've done amazingly well. Thank you so much for sharing.

I can't believe that much time has gone past. Nearly 18 weeks - wow!

Isn't strange how we all store our weight in different places. If I had to put percentages on it Id have to say that for me it's 65% stomach and the rest distributed elsewhere. Im your typical Apple shape.

Don't apologise about your pic. You look gorgeous in your underwear. Hope I manage to pull the same look off when I'm ready.

There aren't many of us who will get away with hardly any lose skin at all and as you say, it's all about being healthy.

I'm going to update my own diary shortly but if I've lost a bit more weight by the time I have my Cons appt on the 19th he said he's put me on Novembers surgery list. The ball is firmly in my court.

Love Claire X

Debs I think you've done amazingly well. Thank you so much for sharing.

I can't believe that much time has gone past. Nearly 18 weeks - wow!

Isn't strange how we all store our weight in different places. If I had to put percentages on it Id have to say that for me it's 65% stomach and the rest distributed elsewhere. Im your typical Apple shape.

Don't apologise about your pic. You look gorgeous in your underwear. Hope I manage to pull the same look off when I'm ready.

There aren't many of us who will get away with hardly any lose skin at all and as you say, it's all about being healthy.

I'm going to update my own diary shortly but if I've lost a bit more weight by the time I have my Cons appt on the 19th he said he's put me on Novembers surgery list. The ball is firmly in my court.

Love Claire X

Woe claire november surgery list thats exciting i hope you get put on the list. Gd luck and i look forward to following your diary.

Kirsty xx

Woe claire november surgery list thats exciting i hope you get put on the list. Gd luck and i look forward to following your diary. Kirsty xx

Thanks Kirsty, I'll be following you too lovely xx

Thanks Kirsty, I'll be following you too lovely xx

Iv recently started a diary. Not much in it yet but its nice to have it all documented.

Kirsty xx

Done great in 17 weeks!

In fairness it's 17.5 weeks since my sleeve on June the 10th. But my liver shrinks diet started on 1st May. Was supposed to be for just 2 weeks but my op was cancelled the night before - and I had to stay on the diet for a further 3 weeks. Thanks for your kind messages

So 18 weeks post surgery approaches.

I've found that I've had a good week with food - no sickness this week. I can still feel my sleeve kicking in and saying 'no more'. I also don't feel that ravenous hunger which I experienced daily before my op.

I have already noticed though I can eat a little more than I used to. And I have already noticed I do either really get hungry or I think k get hungry in the evenings.

I still rarely manage to eat my own arm these days! But I am keeping a close eye on what's happening before any new bad habits form.

Yesterday I had a protein shake for breakfast. 2 baby bell lights for lunch. 80gms salmon 2 tablespoons of cheesey mash and some peas for dinner and a small tub of cottage cheese for supper. My food seems larger in the evenings - wash dashing around in day I guess. I ate some grapes and 5 almonds during day.

Well 18 weeks out and I went for dinner with 3 girlfriends. It was lovely to pop on a frock and find it fitted and I was able to wear knee high boots. Admittedly the fabric topped ones!

Eating out is a challenge if not wanting to make a big fuss about the surgery.

I had a cranberry juice light when we got there. Sipped a little. About twenty minutes later carrot and cumin soup for starter. It came with a roll and butter. I just ate the soup. Main course I selected filo crust leek and fish pie. Came with mash. I didn't touch the mash. Took the filo wafer and left that also. I ate the inside of the fish pie (was effectively fish stew in a dish with a cooked pastry wafer place on top). Too much. Managed about half

I don't ask for small portions or eat just starters as I look for protein elements. I also had the surgery to be invisible not to talk about it to a waitress. So in one sense it was a waste of money but it was about the company and the experience not about feeling full for little money - if that was the case I'd have stayed at home as my meals at home cost about £3 to make!

I did have huge restriction and was worried about the discomfort. But had taken some mints and had one of those and prayed!

18 weeks out and I was 14 stone 6.

Attachments

• image-694714655.jpg
    image-694714655.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 55
Well 18 weeks out and I went for dinner with 3 girlfriends. It was lovely to pop on a frock and find it fitted and I was able to wear knee high boots. Admittedly the fabric topped ones!

Eating out is a challenge if not wanting to make a big fuss about the surgery.

I had a cranberry juice light when we got there. Sipped a little. About twenty minutes later carrot and cumin soup for starter. It came with a roll and butter. I just ate the soup. Main course I selected filo crust leek and fish pie. Came with mash. I didn't touch the mash. Took the filo wafer and left that also. I ate the inside of the fish pie (was effectively fish stew in a dish with a cooked pastry wafer place on top). Too much. Managed about half

I don't ask for small portions or eat just starters as I look for protein elements. I also had the surgery to be invisible not to talk about it to a waitress. So in one sense it was a waste of money but it was about the company and the experience not about feeling full for little money - if that was the case I'd have stayed at home as my meals at home cost about £3 to make!

I did have huge restriction and was worried about the discomfort. But had taken some mints and had one of those and prayed!

18 weeks out and I was 14 stone 6.

Firstly you look great deb. Thanks for sharing what its like eating out its useful info. As ever your doing great.

Kirsty xx

Week 19 approaches.

Nothing remarkable to report in terms of weight loss.

I remain a size 18 right now. I won't wear clothes super tight so it is what it is. I spend my cash in charity shops. I am not making huge purchases until I reach a size I'd be happy to stick at. I said I would be very happy to be a genuine size 16 so perhaps I will buy new clothes then and stop having a mish mash of 2nd hand. Not that I am bothered about shopping in charity shops - far from it - a windsmore cashmere and wool coat for £4.50 made me super happy last week!!!

Eating is definitely easier. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing!!! But it is the case.

My feet have got a bit smaller. Guess less fat splaying as I am not so heavy? Something to consider if you buy lots of shoes and are ore op - don't by any 'big investments' just I case your feet shrink

I have bought new underwear. Left it 4 months and my pants were literally falling down. So I got some new bras and pants in the sale and they will do now until another 2/3 sizes down. I cannot bear the waste. I've found selling clothes to be too frustrating for very small returns so I am donating my larger things - but that makes me feel I am doing my bit for the charities I support so all is good.

Biggest unwanted process is the hair loss. It's a very depressing reality for me and the loss is significant. I have patches at the back of my scalp with no hair at all. It's covers by a thin layer - like a freaky come over. It's confidence sapping but unavoidable. Intake expensive supplement and have had lots of blood tests but to no avail. Wig soon I fear. It falls out in large amounts when I shower. Brushing my hair lightly fills the hairbrush. From having a thick handful in a pony tale I now have barely enough to hold in a band. And I am not yet slowing down. The hair loss is still going strong.

Have a good weekend.

Sorry your having problems with your hair thats something im worried about. They talked about it at the seminar but said it wouldnt b that bad so hearing how yours had been has got me a little worried. I think they said it will settle down after 6 months

Kirsty xx

My GP said the hair loss associated with bariatric surgery is called telogen effluvium and has to do with the normal hair growth cycle. The web explains it usually starts abruptly and very seldom lasts longer than 6 months. Human hair has a two stage growth cycle. The growth phase is called anagen and 90% of our hair follicles are in this phase at any given time. The resting phase is called telogen, which lasts about 1 to 6 months, with an average of 3 months. About 5-15% of our hair is in the resting phase at any given time. It is also known that telogen effluvium has to do with stress to the body and hormonal changes that can occur. Due to the stress more hair follicles can enter into the resting phase. This is important because the hair in the resting phase at the time of surgery is most likely the hair you will shed. This is why your hair sheds between 1 to 6 months after surgery (usually about 3 to 4 months). When the hair starts to grow again the old hair follicle is released and you lose hair. Sometimes the hair comes out before new hair grows, yikes!
So in summary, this type of hair loss is a diffuse shedding of hair as it relates to the normal hair growth cycle. It is common in men and women and all races. It occurs a little more frequently in women typically after child birth.

Why does this happen in people who have bariatric surgery? The most common reasons are:

Surgery, acute illness, trauma
Chronic disease such as liver disease or any chronic debilitating disease
Hormonal imbalance such as hypothyroidism
Crash dieting, low protein intake, anorexia, chronic iron deficiency
Heavy metal toxicity
Medications such as beta-blockers, excess vitamin A and anticoagulants.
So, what we have here are a few things that may be affecting people with hair loss. It starts with surgery, a very low calorie intake and possibly low protein intake. Then you add any illness along the way, an underactive thyroid, iron deficiency, or genetics and you get hair loss of about 5-15% of your hair follicles. Other nutrients implicated in hair loss include zinc, biotin, folate, vitamin B-6 and essential fatty acids. If no deficiency of these nutrients exists, then they will likely be of little use.

The good news is that you can count on the hair returning unless you have a chronic illness or genetic reason for the hair thinning.

Wow lots of info there debs thanks xx

Back