• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

A few words of hope re the hair I'm now 6 months out from my sleeve ( I know doesn't time fly ) and although my hair loss was not that great it's now growing back, my head itches like mad and I thought it was the shampoo but no it's new hair. I've lost almost 7 stones now and have gone from a size 26 to an 18 . I'm back at the manor on Wednesday for my 2 nd appointment I've still not seen a dietician but did get my GP to give me a b12 injection and that has perked me up no end . I might see some one on Wednesday who knows, luckily for me I've not had any issues as far as I know but not had any blood tests either perhaps they will do all that sort of thing on this visit.
Glad to hear your also fine (apart from the hair) I'm enjoying my new life and still have no regrets apart from not having been able to do it sooner.
Even though I don't post much theses days I still come and nosy about on others posts. X Kim

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

You look so nice in your picture, Debs! Congratulations on your weight loss so far. It looks like you're doing really well :)

Well another 2 week stall. Don't you just love the roller coaster which is bariatric weight loss!!!! Not lost an ounce since October 14th and at one point I thought I'd gained half a pound! Lol. Thankfully these stalls have been a regular feature of my journey since the outset so I know now to just accept it and recognise it's how my body does it. It would be nice to drop some more weight. I am super keen to hope I get into the 13 stone zone before Christmas. That is probably unlikely at the rate I am going but you have to have a goal I guess!

I had some amazing bargains at the end of the sale at M&S. Brand new jeans for £2.99. Nearly fainted. Still definitely still an 18 in bottoms but had one or two loose style tops in a 16. Quite a shock really!

My restriction has not lessened but I can already see how people fall off the journey. I tried a tiny bit of chicken again today - really hard work. Very sick. Later had a ham omelette. No good either. Just as sick. But I can eat walkers French fries and rich tea biscuits. Not that it's a a big issue - 100 calories for the French fries and 42 for the biscuit but the nutritional value is zilch. Such a hard to fathom quirk!

Anyhow - of to the north east tomorrow for a few days. Hoping the rain stays away !

Kind regards to everyone. ?

I hope you have a nice time in the North East :) Maybe the shake up will put a stop to your stall and you'll be on great track to lose the weight you want for christmas! I cant imagine being a size 16/18. You're doing really great!

Have a nice time debs dont worry about the stall it will soon pass. Your doing fab. Did u get your appointment date for mr kendrick yet is it any where near mine on 20th november?

Kirsty xx

Have a nice time debs dont worry about the stall it will soon pass. Your doing fab. Did u get your appointment date for mr kendrick yet is it any where near mine on 20th november? Kirsty xx

Sadly no appointments have come through at all for me. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed about this. I last saw Mr Kendrick in February 2015 and he said he would see me in 6 months. I've only have one follow up appointment since I was discharged on 10th June 2015. I'd imagined a few more if I am honest as they spoke about 3 monthly appointments following surgery for the first year. Will chase I think. x

Well a memorable day for the wrong reasons today!

It's been 4 months, 22 days. In other words that's
12,441,600 seconds
207,360 minutes
3456 hours
144 days
20 weeks and 4 days.

So still early days I guess I am saying ???

Haven't weight for a week and I have gained 2-3 pounds.

Nope haven't had a festival of chocolate etc. but have eaten ok I thought.

I am still adding marvel to everything and drinking protein shakes so perhaps I need to stop this now and see if that makes a difference. When I was eating hardly anything they were vital, but I guess now I am having lots of liquid calories and my 3-4 small meals each day so perhaps this needs to change.

It's been a sobering start to the day!

20 weeks and 4 days
39.45% of 2015

Sadly no appointments have come through at all for me. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed about this. I last saw Mr Kendrick in February 2015 and he said he would see me in 6 months. I've only have one follow up appointment since I was discharged on 10th June 2015. I'd imagined a few more if I am honest as they spoke about 3 monthly appointments following surgery for the first year. Will chase I think. x

Ah deb thats not good i would defo give them a call see whats going on. Can i as did u get the ok with mr kendrick at the first appointment. What happened after that and how fast.

Dont be too dissapointed with the gain. They did say at group meeting that once we were off the liquid stage post op that we should stop the protein shakes so id defo try that. See what happens. Keep me posted.

Kirsty xx

Hey Debs,

You've done so amazingly well. I can only imagine what a disappointment it must be to have put a little on for a change.

It seems that you already have an idea why it might have happened so I bet over the next couple of weeks you find yourself losing again.

I'm supposed to be sleeved on the 17th November. Eek..!

I'll be re-reading your diary for advice..

Xx

Ah deb thats not good i would defo give them a call see whats going on. Can i as did u get the ok with mr kendrick at the first appointment. What happened after that and how fast. Dont be too dissapointed with the gain. They did say at group meeting that once we were off the liquid stage post op that we should stop the protein shakes so id defo try that. See what happens. Keep me posted. Kirsty xx

Mr Kendrick told me his decision in the meeting. He said he didn't need to see me again pre op and he had no concerns in putting me forward.

A couple of weeks later I had my pre op - I also met in the same clinic appointment Mr Yousaff the anaesthetist. He reviewed my current medication and health issues. Ensured I had a ECG, wrote a prescription for a single injection of clexane which I was to administer the day before my op. He advised what tablets to stope during LRD - make a note as if you're like me you will forget! He made it clear I could not do the milk only diet as I was on metformin for insulin resistance. My op would have been 8-10 weeks after seeing Mr Kendrick and perhaps 6-8 weeks after seeing Mr Yousaff. It was actually a little longer due to the second repeat of my pre op showed I'd got MRSA is my nose???!

It will not be long I would not think. X

Hey Debs, You've done so amazingly well. I can only imagine what a disappointment it must be to have put a little on for a change. It seems that you already have an idea why it might have happened so I bet over the next couple of weeks you find yourself losing again. I'm supposed to be sleeved on the 17th November. Eek..! I'll be re-reading your diary for advice.. Xx

Not long at all now! My true advice in hindsight would be to expect and emotional crash and to be gentle with yourself when it happens. We are so focused pre op and so excited that the emotional crash when in pain and struggling is hard.

It is uncomfortable for the first 3-4 days and you will have a day when you think - what on earth have I done?! Don't let it drag you down. It passes as quickly as it arrives.

A bit of mourning for the old you seems common. I think it's because you are going to relearn everything you thought you knew. We've been eating since we were a few months old and that whole liquid, purée then mush emulates a baby from milk to toddler food. !

You sleep lots at first. Not really a painful recovery but an exhausting one.

Don't race to the next stages. They arrive soon enough.

Decide how to measure success. My weight loss has been slow and it can be disheartening.

Take care xxxx

You sleep lots at first. Not really a painful recovery but an exhausting one.

Don't race to the next stages. They arrive soon enough.

Decide how to measure success. My weight loss has been slow and it can be disheartening.

Take care xxxx

Hi Debs, can I ask about whether you felt ready to go to work after 2 weeks? Also when did you feel able to drive?

Mr Kendrick told me his decision in the meeting. He said he didn't need to see me again pre op and he had no concerns in putting me forward.

A couple of weeks later I had my pre op - I also met in the same clinic appointment Mr Yousaff the anaesthetist. He reviewed my current medication and health issues. Ensured I had a ECG, wrote a prescription for a single injection of clexane which I was to administer the day before my op. He advised what tablets to stope during LRD - make a note as if you're like me you will forget! He made it clear I could not do the milk only diet as I was on metformin for insulin resistance. My op would have been 8-10 weeks after seeing Mr Kendrick and perhaps 6-8 weeks after seeing Mr Yousaff. It was actually a little longer due to the second repeat of my pre op showed I'd got MRSA is my nose???!

It will not be long I would not think. X

Thank you so much for that info deb its shocked me a little to. To think by feb i could be having my op is unbelievable. Jus told my husband and hes jus as shocked as me. Im jus praying mt kendrick gives the ok at the appointment. I should have met my target for when i see him im so scared hes gna delay things for me. Probably jus being silly im sure it will b fine.

Kirsty xx

Hi Debs, can I ask about whether you felt ready to go to work after 2 weeks? Also when did you feel able to drive?

Marz

Everyone is very different. I was very lucky. First 2-3 days I was uncomfortable and extremely tired. I only took pain killers in hospital. I was able to use the loo in both ways from day 1. I was able to sip ok. Yes it hurt. But I just kept at it. Like I was washing out the old me.

Day 3 and 4 I was up and about and ok. Day 5 I walked the mile to my GP. He ruled and entered in my medical notes that I was fine to drive. He also would not give me a sick note as he said I was actually perfectly able to undertake light duties on reduced hours. I teach/ facilitate adults and did my first full day in the classroom on day 9 following my surgery.

I didn't get any wind or joint pain. My main port stitches healed quickly. I found the port under my bra line got irritated by my bra which was an issue but I kept the dressing on a bit longer. I also had a stitch poke out which the doctor sorted.

I've been able to use the loo daily ever since. I have no muscle or stomach pain. I do burp loudly. Really really loudly and I was often sick as I tried new foods or if I unwittingly ate to quickly.

Overall it's been a very straightforward process other than slow weight loss and lots and lots of stalls where I stay the same.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for that info deb its shocked me a little to. To think by feb i could be having my op is unbelievable. Jus told my husband and hes jus as shocked as me. Im jus praying mt kendrick gives the ok at the appointment. I should have met my target for when i see him im so scared hes gna delay things for me. Probably jus being silly im sure it will b fine. Kirsty xx

He is actually a lovely lovely man Kirsty. I saw him every month for 2 years in my tier 3 and he really helped me with me eating demons.

He simply wants to be sure you understand the enormity of this - cutting out your stomach. He wants to know what you've done before about your weight and if you know why it hasn't worked. He will be keen to know how you will change and cope post op. What have you already started to do differently. Will you cope without your drug of choice - food. Are you emotionally prepared. Do you have support. He asks if you can change enough for it work or if you will be part of the group that gains it all back. He is just a kind plain speaking and very thin chap who has a wicked sense of humour. He is not looking to stop you progressing. He merely wants to be very sure you have the emotional resilience to cope and support in place for the tough times. Good luck x

Marz

Everyone is very different. I was very lucky. First 2-3 days I was uncomfortable and extremely tired. I only took pain killers in hospital. I was able to use the loo in both ways from day 1. I was able to sip ok. Yes it hurt. But I just kept at it. Like I was washing out the old me.

Day 3 and 4 I was up and about and ok. Day 5 I walked the mile to my GP. He ruled and entered in my medical notes that I was fine to drive. He also would not give me a sick note as he said I was actually perfectly able to undertake light duties on reduced hours. I teach/ facilitate adults and did my first full day in the classroom on day 9 following my surgery.

I didn't get any wind or joint pain. My main port stitches healed quickly. I found the port under my bra line got irritated by my bra which was an issue but I kept the dressing on a bit longer. I also had a stitch poke out which the doctor sorted.

I've been able to use the loo daily ever since. I have no muscle or stomach pain. I do burp loudly. Really really loudly and I was often sick as I tried new foods or if I unwittingly ate to quickly.

Overall it's been a very straightforward process other than slow weight loss and lots and lots of stalls where I stay the same.

Hope this helps.

That does help. Driving by end of the first week and back to work by day 9 sounds like a dream. I'm hoping to book over the Christmas holidays as I teach too.. I don't want to tell anyone at work but was concerned that maybe I would need more than 2 weeks, but your post reassures me that the timeframe should work, I hope. Are we obliged to inform HR of this?

That does help. Driving by end of the first week and back to work by day 9 sounds like a dream. I'm hoping to book over the Christmas holidays as I teach too.. I don't want to tell anyone at work but was concerned that maybe I would need more than 2 weeks, but your post reassures me that the timeframe should work, I hope. Are we obliged to inform HR of this?

I had an extremely swift recovery and no real complications. Others took 6-8 weeks so I have no way of predicting how you will get on - you just have to hope for the best I guess.
I am self employed so I had to tell no one. Are you going private or having. Your op on the NHS? If private it is considers to be cosmetic surgery and I don't feel you'd have to tell about this - unless of course you need some adjustments post op to get back into work. All medical matters are covered by confidentiality matters so you can tell them you've had a hospital
Procedure and no more. They only have to legally now under health and safety of there are on going issue they need to take reasonable adjustments for or consider completely a classroom risk assessment for you etc. I train when the worm comes I. - so 2-3 class days max. I did deliver a 5 day course on week 7 working in London on 9 to 5.30 each day and I was fit to drop. Having so little food it's hard to have high energy. Hope you get on ok x

I had an extremely swift recovery and no real complications. Others took 6-8 weeks so I have no way of predicting how you will get on - you just have to hope for the best I guess.
I am self employed so I had to tell no one. Are you going private or having. Your op on the NHS? If private it is considers to be cosmetic surgery and I don't feel you'd have to tell about this - unless of course you need some adjustments post op to get back into work. All medical matters are covered by confidentiality matters so you can tell them you've had a hospital
Procedure and no more. They only have to legally now under health and safety of there are on going issue they need to take reasonable adjustments for or consider completely a classroom risk assessment for you etc. I train when the worm comes I. - so 2-3 class days max. I did deliver a 5 day course on week 7 working in London on 9 to 5.30 each day and I was fit to drop. Having so little food it's hard to have high energy. Hope you get on ok x

I'm going private, as my gp gave me xenical and told me everything would be alright, lol. I think given your insight it would be better for me to keep it quiet. Mine would be 8-5, 5 x a week... Maybe I should wait until summer?

Back