• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

How much have u lost so far in total debs inc pre op diet xx

Thanks for support i have done milk diet before as a 2 week trial and i wasnt too bad. This time its for real tho and its for 3 weeke xx

My highest pre op was around 275 lbs - or 19 stone 7. When I started the LRD I was 265 lbs or so which is 18 stone 13 I think.

I am now 175-174 lbs or around 12 and a half stone so still a fair weight I guess

I am around 3 weeks from my year out of surgery.

I am still learning though Kirsty and still make stupid mistakes! But each day I get a bit better.

Good luck with the milk diet honey x

A fair weight at 12 stone ? That an amazing weight for anyone ! I'd love to be that weight believe me lol .. Don't ever put yourself down as you've lost an incredible amount of weight young lady ( wags finger :) ) Did you ever believe you would ever be in the 12 stone Mark ?
Your amazing
Xxxx

Wow debs thats over 6 stone and thats so amazing. Your my inspiration going forward i was getting worried id made wrong choice to av sleeve cuz wont b able to loose enough weight but knowing how amazing you have done makes me believe i can achieve my goals too. Keep up the good work debs your doing great xx

Wow debs thats over 6 stone and thats so amazing. Your my inspiration going forward i was getting worried id made wrong choice to av sleeve cuz wont b able to loose enough weight but knowing how amazing you have done makes me believe i can achieve my goals too. Keep up the good work debs your doing great xx
Sleeve is a great choice you can lose it all !

Well I am in USA at the moment and whilst here have celebrated my 1 year post surgery moment on June 10th by running up the art museum steps j. Philadelphia as per Rocky in the film! What a surprise to someone who could barely walk some days pre op. I didn't get to my goal of 11 stone 6 but I did reach 12 stone 8-9lbs and thats all ok. 11 stone 6 gives me a BMI of 24.9 so I guess I was being a wee bit optimistic !!! Still plenty of learning taking place by me as I live with my sleeve but I guess I have all of the rest of my life to work it all out so no rush! I don't regret it as I know I had run out of options but it remains the most drastic wacky diet solution I have ever embarked upon!

I love Rocky! We're you singing Eye Of The Tiger to yourself too?
Congratulations on your anniversary and your brilliant weight loss. I think it's one thing picking a goal out of your head and another living in your body and figuring out what weight feels right. Plus you do have the rest of your life :D

What a difference! Also I'll be humming the Rocky theme all day in your honour ;)

Wow debs thats amazing im so proud of you. Gives me great hope for my future.

Kirsty xx

I thought it might be useful to record some of the few minor lows of my surgery! They are minor but they do have an impact on me.

I am still sick/burping with some foods.

Despite being quite convinced pre op I would not have any issues about my excess skin - I am saddened to report that actually I am very bothered about it - far more than I care to admit and sadly it has had a rather profound affect on my confidence. I am back to see the Psyche in September to see if he can help me reconcile my self loathing a little.

My holiday was wonderful but the sleeve did have an impact. My partner loves his food. He exercises hard but has a hearty appetite. Food, wine and sightseeing are all part of the many things that he loves on a holiday.

We just found our different eating regimes a bigger issue that we thought. At home it's not so obvious I guess.

All our hotel stays included lovely buffet breakfast. I manage either a yogurt or perhaps some egg each day. Eating time - 10 mins. No drink. Obviously. He had a jug of coffee, cooked breakfast, bowl of fruit, sometimes a yoghurt. Sometimes a pastry. Sometimes cheese and meats. Glass of orange. Toast. Eating time - 45 plus minutes. He was then stuffed and needed nothing else till tea time.

We'd then go out. 30 minutes in I really craved my morning coffee. Hadn't had one with breakfast as I can't eat and drink. He sat and waited whilst I had one.

About an hour later due to the walking we were doing, I was hungry and needing something. Bit light headed. So we'd stop. I'd get a snack. He waited and made no fuss.

This was the pattern of the whole day. Me having 3-4 or even 5 tiny meals. He needing only two main meals. Me unable to eat and drink. He preferring that routine he was used and worked for him. I felt awkward while he waited for me and he felt awkward enjoy his starter and main course, wine and a coffee whilst I picked at a small starter. Sounds like such a small thing but it was so disruptive. I ended up buying a kids lunch bag and packing snacks for some of the day. Which seems a daft thing to do - but I found it easier carrying bits than searching for them whilst sight seeing.

The skin is the biggie. I have started saving but I am extremely nervous about the idea of a tummy tuck.

Sorry to ramble!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for your honesty.

I am worried about both of those things - holidays/eating out and excess skin.

Eating out is a huge part of our holiday, I guess I wouldn't be this size of it wasn't! I am worried how it will effect things, or make things difficult or awkward. I am also unsure what it will be like with dumping eating out with not being sure how I will react to foods.

I am worried that I will not want to go anywhere because it is difficult and to avoid dumping when out, but that would be counterproductive.

I guess I won't know until I have had it done!

I have to keep reminding myself why I am having this done, that I might not be around for many years to have a holiday if I don't do something about my weight!

I'm 6 weeks post op and off on holiday this weekend for two weeks. So I read your holiday ramblings with interest. My husband is a great lover of food and exercise so I was able to draw comparisons and learn from it. Thank you for that.

The family know that it's steady work for me this holiday and eating out will be tricky. I think tapas will be our way to go with lots of shared dishes. Interesting times ahead.

My skin is looking very loose already. Hoping I can ignore it!!

I'm 6 weeks post op and off on holiday this weekend for two weeks. So I read your holiday ramblings with interest. My husband is a great lover of food and exercise so I was able to draw comparisons and learn from it. Thank you for that.

The family know that it's steady work for me this holiday and eating out will be tricky. I think tapas will be our way to go with lots of shared dishes. Interesting times ahead.

My skin is looking very loose already. Hoping I can ignore it!!

I was just over a year out on our recent holiday to the USA - I suspect this is what my new 'normal is' - you are only 6 weeks Lynne so you have lots of changing ahead and the surgery is less fierce after a year - honest xx

As I have previously said - I don't regret it! I do regret it came to surgery and the removal of healthy stomach because I otherwise could not sustain weight loss - it is extreme to remove a healthy part of ones body to stop overeating in anyone's book I am sure!

My whole family are relieved I am so much healthier - and I am sure yours will be. There are a trillion of benefits - so please look at the issues with that very positive back drop.

It was just a new mild sadness - he felt guilty sat eating whilst I sat opposite and chatted. I still cannot drink and eat - so I could not even sip on water whilst waiting. I know that he avoided a desert or a coffee after his food to speed up the process. He stopped ordering bottle of wine as I could not help him drink it - and the time taken for him to drink it added to our meal. I felt bad when I kept interrupting the day to find a snack etc - we were walking around Washington sightseeing - and I would be looking every 2 hours or so for something small. It was a little disruptive - leaving a museum to sit on the wall to eat a bit of cottage cheese etc!! lol

Have a magical holiday - it will fab I am sure xx

Thank you for your honesty.

I am worried about both of those things - holidays/eating out and excess skin.

Eating out is a huge part of our holiday, I guess I wouldn't be this size of it wasn't! I am worried how it will effect things, or make things difficult or awkward. I am also unsure what it will be like with dumping eating out with not being sure how I will react to foods.

I am worried that I will not want to go anywhere because it is difficult and to avoid dumping when out, but that would be counterproductive.

I guess I won't know until I have had it done!

I have to keep reminding myself why I am having this done, that I might not be around for many years to have a holiday if I don't do something about my weight!

Hannah at the beginning its more of an effort. I was sometimes sick when out and I got perfectly at ease eating, going to the loo, being sick, going back to the meal! I stuck to slider food early days to enjoy the experience of being out - not the food excitement! So a bowl of soup. Or a sloppy soft starter. I plodded slowly and it was ok.
Food outlets always want to give you a drink. They just don't seem to get that someone wants to eat but not drink. I got sick of explaining - but now for peace and quiet sake I ask for tap water - and usually don't drink any of it - its just easier than explaining I cannot eat and drink.

I am a sleeve so I don't often dump - if I dump its high sweet / cream content which sends me over the edge. I've learned to avoid this! Eating too fast is STILL a failure of mine!!!! And that causes me to be ill - burps and sickness in the form of 'foamies'. Its also a fine between comfortable and a few grams more than our tiny tummies like - that also causes me foamies. Finally, even a year out, if I drink too quickly after my food - I often again get the foamies.

Now I have learned the rules - I work with them well. You don't need many fails to get the idea!!!

Surgery is to give you your life back - you have to be on your own version of hell to even consider it I guess. So its a small price to pay - I still try new foods to see how I get on. For months and months egss made me sick - I still kept trying them. Now I can usually manage eggs. So I just keep testing myself and trying to find what works for me.

good luck with your surgery and thanks for contributing to my diary x

Bloods.

Well the hospital have confirmed the long term pattern of my B12 reducing seems to have finally stopped and this month it's actually risen. It's stayed within the tolerance of normal but as the range is huge I've been quite perturbed at how much it had dropped in the 12 months. It was a relief that this month it had actually started to climb.

The general pattern of my bloods has been that my levels seem to drop across the board. I am more vigilant now with my vitamins as a result. Certainly makes me think - may feel healthier now that I am a bit slimmer but it ain't much good if I don't ensure I match that with healthy bloods!

Sadly my vitamin d and iron levels have dropped again and are now outside of the 'normal' range so I've been prescribed iron and Fultium D.

Who knew that iron tablets cause dreadful wind!!!!

Last edited:
Wow Debs, what a journey! Congrats on all that has gone well so far and I certainly found your diary informative and refreshingly honest.
I'm one week post sleeve (was meant to have been a bypass but surgeon opted for sleeve due to lots of internal scarring) and as most of my reading was around bypasses I feel a wee bit ''on a back leg'' but your diary has opened my eyes to alot.
I hope you manage to lose that extra stone soon and your next set of blood tests will be more encouraging.
Fantastic results and the attitude to match! Best of luck hon xx

In America I spend a lot of time drinking skinny hot chocolate from Starbucks..keeps me going! Food was always a huge part of our holiday too

Wow Debs, what a journey! Congrats on all that has gone well so far and I certainly found your diary informative and refreshingly honest.
I'm one week post sleeve (was meant to have been a bypass but surgeon opted for sleeve due to lots of internal scarring) and as most of my reading was around bypasses I feel a wee bit ''on a back leg'' but your diary has opened my eyes to alot.
I hope you manage to lose that extra stone soon and your next set of blood tests will be more encouraging.
Fantastic results and the attitude to match! Best of luck hon xx

Hi Lisa

Thanks for passing by my diary ramblings! How are you finding your sleeve? Don't be disappointed that you ended up with a sleeve and not bypass I've established hat many people with a sleeve have great success. Many people with a bypass have great success. Some people with a sleeve regain. Some people with a bypass regain. Yep - you've got my point - there are highs and lows of all surgery !!!!

I am not someone who loves their sleeve - because it thumps me often!!! But I am grateful for it and for the chance it gave me to manage my eating compulsions.

I hope you have a great journey with yours xx

Back