• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm a successful dieter! Very successful

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
Yes I'm a very successful dieter.:)
You name it I've probably done it and lost weight, sometimes a lot of weight.
My problem is and I'm sure I'm not alone I have trouble maintaining my weight.:sigh:
Now I want to make something clear I know what I do, I also know what I need to do....I'm not stupid, or lazy or slovenly I'm just overweight!
I go on a diet lose a couple of stone:) then put it all back on plus a bit more besides. :cry:
I go on a diet lose a couple of stone :)then put it all back on plus a bit more besides.:cry:
I go on a diet lose a couple of stone:) then put it all back on plus a bit more besides. :cry:
You get the picture:eek:
People out there seem to have this idea that people with weight issues just don't care about themselves, I am lucky I have never had any directly rude made to me, Oh actually there was a child once ask "Why are you so fat?" I was 6 months pregnant at the time but still overweight. His parents didn't even apologise, they turned to him and said you mustn't say that- but he must have heard it somewhere- probably from them. But often I hear things and it saddens me.
Even my two beautiful daughters, 25 & 30yrs, have both made a comment about someone using my size as a bench mark " she's not any smaller than you" or " he was much bigger than you" Now I know they don't mean it in a rude way or want to upset me, in fact on both occasions it was said by way of a compliment!- but I'm sure those of you on here understand what it feels like.:cry:

Anyway I had looked into surgery about 18months ago and really knew then that this was the way forward for me. I tried to broach the subjuct with my GP, who is an absolute doll and really easy to talk to, but as you do... I said it in a jokingly way, not wanting to be shot down, and he missed it completely:rolleyes: so off I toddled with an appointment for yet another round of blood test and a dietician appointment. Noooooooooooo!:(
Why is it? I'm a successful business woman employing 10 staff, dealing with all sorts of issues day to day yet when it comes to me I'm bloody useless:(
Then back in the cold dark days of Jan I thought of selling my business, now I began to think of going private with the proceeds.....I had not mentioned this to anyone at this stage my ideas on surgery:eek: Eventually the deal didn't go through...but now its in my head going round and round and round!

One evening a programme came on the TV about oversize ambulances for severly obese people, my husband was about to switch it over when I told him I wanted to watch it.... we sat and watched and I told him I never want to get to that stage and that I feared that I would :wave_cry:
An open evening came up towards the end of May at our local private hospital and we both went along to check it out...secretly I was hoping someone would say something to put me off.
They didn't
Okay I thought, these guys are out to make money of course they're gonna tell me what I want to hear, so I booked to see my GP. He'll tell me what I NEED to know and put this nonsense to bed once and for all!!
His 1st comment when he saw me was " well you're hiding it well!" and I was looking ok that day with the right outfit make up etc etc.
We chatted, he got down all the books and told me all the pit falls, malabsorbtion etc
we chatted some more, he told me I'd be quite slim afterwards!
we chatted some more, he said he was very happy to support me through it all (private only covers the op, good old NHS has to do the rest!!)
Then I told him that he was supposed to be telling me something to put me off when all he was doing was confirming my decision!!

I'd already found this brilliant site and probably knew more about WLS than he did but it was great to know that I had his support

Gosh this is a long post, mostly for me, so if anyone is still reading sorry!!

Anyway, here I sit, my family are 100% behind my decision. I have been booked into the local private hospital for a bypass on 7th Sept and I start my liver reducing diet on 23rd Aug.
OMG not long now!! and I will be back in control of my life. My husband has been an absolute star throughout this journey so far and I can't wait to be "normal" again

A great start to your diary Sarah. I look forward to reading about your journey and helping you in any way possible. This is your time now! I wish you all the luck in the world x x

Hi Sarah. Well done - for taking the first step, for checking everything out, for being open about it and for putting it all down so well. Only you know the choice you need to make, and listening to those at the hospital and your G.P. has obviously helped you make it. You have mentioned you were waiting for the negative stuff to put you off, yet never heard any. The negative stuff will have been said, but you never heard it...! What I mean is that the mention of malabsorption and other side effects haven't been enough for you to notice as being the down side to wls, therefore you have made the right decision for you.
I wish you every bit of luck on your life changing journey and look forward to reading your future posts.

:)Sarah - what a great post:)
I could of written something very similar to start my own diaryxxx

You're sorted - mentally and emotionally - don't stress about anything cos it will all be ok. Best thing I've ever done and I wish I'd done it 10 years ago. :)

Awwww, what a lovely post. Hmmmm that probably sounds an odd thing to say!

What I mean is so positive and ..... well ...... positive!

Good luck with it all x

SARAH S said:
Yes I'm a very successful dieter.:)
You name it I've probably done it and lost weight, sometimes a lot of weight.
My problem is and I'm sure I'm not alone I have trouble maintaining my weight.:sigh:
Now I want to make something clear I know what I do, I also know what I need to do....I'm not stupid, or lazy or slovenly I'm just overweight!
I go on a diet lose a couple of stone :)then put it all back on plus a bit more besides.:cry:
You get the picture:eek:
People out there seem to have this idea that people with weight issues just don't care about themselves, I am lucky I have never had any directly rude made to me, Oh actually there was a child once ask "Why are you so fat?" I was 6 months pregnant at the time but still overweight. His parents didn't even apologise, they turned to him and said you mustn't say that- but he must have heard it somewhere- probably from them. But often I hear things and it saddens me.
Even my two beautiful daughters, 25 & 30yrs, have both made a comment about someone using my size as a bench mark " she's not any smaller than you" or " he was much bigger than you" Now I know they don't mean it in a rude way or want to upset me, in fact on both occasions it was said by way of a compliment!- but I'm sure those of you on here understand what it feels like.:cry:

Anyway I had looked into surgery about 18months ago and really knew then that this was the way forward for me. I tried to broach the subjuct with my GP, who is an absolute doll and really easy to talk to, but as you do... I said it in a jokingly way, not wanting to be shot down, and he missed it completely:rolleyes: so off I toddled with an appointment for yet another round of blood test and a dietician appointment. Noooooooooooo!:(
Why is it? I'm a successful business woman employing 10 staff, dealing with all sorts of issues day to day yet when it comes to me I'm bloody useless:(
Then back in the cold dark days of Jan I thought of selling my business, now I began to think of going private with the proceeds.....I had not mentioned this to anyone at this stage my ideas on surgery:eek: Eventually the deal didn't go through...but now its in my head going round and round and round!

One evening a programme came on the TV about oversize ambulances for severly obese people, my husband was about to switch it over when I told him I wanted to watch it.... we sat and watched and I told him I never want to get to that stage and that I feared that I would :wave_cry:
An open evening came up towards the end of May at our local private hospital and we both went along to check it out...secretly I was hoping someone would say something to put me off.
They didn't
Okay I thought, these guys are out to make money of course they're gonna tell me what I want to hear, so I booked to see my GP. He'll tell me what I NEED to know and put this nonsense to bed once and for all!!
His 1st comment when he saw me was " well you're hiding it well!" and I was looking ok that day with the right outfit make up etc etc.
We chatted, he got down all the books and told me all the pit falls, malabsorbtion etc
we chatted some more, he told me I'd be quite slim afterwards!
we chatted some more, he said he was very happy to support me through it all (private only covers the op, good old NHS has to do the rest!!)
Then I told him that he was supposed to be telling me something to put me off when all he was doing was confirming my decision!!

I'd already found this brilliant site and probably knew more about WLS than he did but it was great to know that I had his support

Gosh this is a long post, mostly for me, so if anyone is still reading sorry!!

Anyway, here I sit, my family are 100% behind my decision. I have been booked into the local private hospital for a bypass on 7th Sept and I start my liver reducing diet on 23rd Aug.
OMG not long now!! and I will be back in control of my life. My husband has been an absolute star throughout this journey so far and I can't wait to be "normal" again

Hi there Sarah,

Just a little message to say your post was really good. I wish you lots of luck, your family sounds lovely and supportive. I am having my bypass 24 august 2011 so I am getting nervous now, I will look forward to reading your posts and im sure we can all help each other. You have made the right decision sweetie and I too see it as getting my life back too. Lots of luv kaz x

Thank you all for the tremendous support you give on this forum.

I have never been a part of these things before and found it so easy to talk to you guys about anything.

Because everyone is going on the same journey, but not the same journey, there is always someone who can answer any questions....Brilliant

Not sure that made sense:(....but I think you'll know what I mean :)

Hi Sarah, i'm in Devon, whereabouts are you having surgery? Is there anywhere in Cornwall? Who is doing the op? You sound like me, successful business woman, etc, but cant keep the weight off!

Congrats on your decision, i'm jealous!

I'm having it done at the Duchy Hospital, Truro. Its behind Treliske.
My surgeon is Mr Finlay, he's lovely. He also does all the NHS bariatric surgery at Treliske as well.

How far along are you? Do you know what surgery you'd like yet?

Wow, i didnt know they did it in Cornwall now, brill for you! They have also just started it in Plymouth. Most people in my area to go to Taunton though.

I'm not very far along at all, i dont qualify for NHS treatment, and cant afford private at the mo. Too many other big bills to pay right now, maybe next year! Good luck with it :)

I can relate to everything you said as I'm si can most on here, now you've taken this step you won't regret it, it was the best thing I ever did, Karen x

Becky, have you tried to get NHS treatment. I do regret not pushing this last year with my GP. I just assumed I wouldn't get it.

When I saw him in May though he said he would put me through as a special case....it would take about 18months with appeals etc.... if he'd done it then I'd be almost there by now.

We have chosen to go private because I know that I'd have to be a lot larger to increase my chances and that just seems ridiculous ..............it wont be easy though but Im certain it will be worth it

Thank you Karen, daily I'm more and more certain it's the right thing for me :)

I can also relate to alot of your post, Good Luck on your wls journey and I look forward to reading how you get on in the future xx

Becky, have you tried to get NHS treatment. I do regret not pushing this last year with my GP. I just assumed I wouldn't get it.

When I saw him in May though he said he would put me through as a special case....it would take about 18months with appeals etc.... if he'd done it then I'd be almost there by now.

We have chosen to go private because I know that I'd have to be a lot larger to increase my chances and that just seems ridiculous ..............it wont be easy though but Im certain it will be worth it

Hi again sarah, my gp has written twice to the local team, and twice the board has refused to see me to put me into weight management. I think going private is my only option at the mo, unless i gain sufficiently, which seems so wrong!

If you dont mind me asking, how much is the bypass at The Duchy? Thanks :) PM me if you like :)

Last edited:
It's going to be £10500 but the price changes with your BMI. There is a website just google The Bariatric Group.

Mr Finlay works out of Taunton as well if thats nearer for you

Back