• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 week to go

stubad

its taken so much to get here

hi i am stuart, i am 33 yrs old and at my biggest was 183.7 kg. i have diabetes (type 2) and sleep apnoea, i also have high bp and anxiety. i started my journey 2 years ago trying to get my gp to refer me to homerton or L & D, but he wouldnt saying that surgery isnt a quick fix, (like i didnt know that things would change), well i finally managed to get him to refer me, first he refered me to homerton and they said that i didnt fit the criteria, so i researched a bit more and got my doctor to try L & D and they said the same, well i was stumped as not only did i have both co-morbidities but i also had a bmi of 51.7 and had tried all other avenues available. So.. i decided to contact homerton myself and was shocked to find out that my gp in an attempt to sabotage my referral had left all the important info out of his letter and i was being refused wrongly, this was rectified by a complaint to the surgery and PALS, who informed my gp to buck up his ideas.

I was refered successfully to homerton, and went and met the multi disciplinary team in march this year who agreed i needed surgery and in the end was agreed at the meeting also, on the proviso that i lose 5- 10 % of my weight before a date be given. naturally i was over the moon i could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and my kids could get the dad they always deserved, it was especially important as my partner and mother to my 5 children had been diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer last year and is just coming to the end of a lengthy treatment regime, i needed to be fit to help her.
And so it began, i had given up smoking 6 yrs before and found it pretty easy, but food was a different matter yet spurred on by the gift of surgery i started the hardest challenge so far, the DIET, at first it was ok but after a few days i was craving things and would often cheat a little but i carried on and became more commited and started losing weight quick. UNTIL i contracted campylobacter, (food poisoning caused by chicken), i was vomiting and the other fo 9 days before my gp would send me to hospital despite pleas from my partner after i collapsed on the loo twice, when i di get their, i was in for 3 days, on constant fluids, i had 9 ltrs of fluid and 1 ltr of potassium and although i got better, it amounted to 16lbs of extra weight put on, i was devastated, i had 1 week till my appointment and i had put on over a stone in weight, so i pushed hard, i measured my meals and supplimented some with slimfast and come the day of my appointment i was surprised to find that i had still managed to lose 9.7 kg (apprx 24lbs).
Anyway this was yesterday and tamara the lovely bariatric nurse agreed that i had shown enough commitment and advised that she would call me with a surgery date within 2 days, so fingers crossed i should have a date by tomorrow, i cant wait.

i hope people see that even when the odds have been stacked against you, you can still acheive your goals and hopefuly it will carry on for me now

hi i am stuart, i am 33 yrs old and at my biggest was 183.7 kg. i have diabetes (type 2) and sleep apnoea, i also have high bp and anxiety. i started my journey 2 years ago trying to get my gp to refer me to homerton or L & D, but he wouldnt saying that surgery isnt a quick fix, (like i didnt know that things would change), well i finally managed to get him to refer me, first he refered me to homerton and they said that i didnt fit the criteria, so i researched a bit more and got my doctor to try L & D and they said the same, well i was stumped as not only did i have both co-morbidities but i also had a bmi of 51.7 and had tried all other avenues available. So.. i decided to contact homerton myself and was shocked to find out that my gp in an attempt to sabotage my referral had left all the important info out of his letter and i was being refused wrongly, this was rectified by a complaint to the surgery and PALS, who informed my gp to buck up his ideas.

I was refered successfully to homerton, and went and met the multi disciplinary team in march this year who agreed i needed surgery and in the end was agreed at the meeting also, on the proviso that i lose 5- 10 % of my weight before a date be given. naturally i was over the moon i could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and my kids could get the dad they always deserved, it was especially important as my partner and mother to my 5 children had been diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer last year and is just coming to the end of a lengthy treatment regime, i needed to be fit to help her.
And so it began, i had given up smoking 6 yrs before and found it pretty easy, but food was a different matter yet spurred on by the gift of surgery i started the hardest challenge so far, the DIET, at first it was ok but after a few days i was craving things and would often cheat a little but i carried on and became more commited and started losing weight quick. UNTIL i contracted campylobacter, (food poisoning caused by chicken), i was vomiting and the other fo 9 days before my gp would send me to hospital despite pleas from my partner after i collapsed on the loo twice, when i di get their, i was in for 3 days, on constant fluids, i had 9 ltrs of fluid and 1 ltr of potassium and although i got better, it amounted to 16lbs of extra weight put on, i was devastated, i had 1 week till my appointment and i had put on over a stone in weight, so i pushed hard, i measured my meals and supplimented some with slimfast and come the day of my appointment i was surprised to find that i had still managed to lose 9.7 kg (apprx 24lbs).
Anyway this was yesterday and tamara the lovely bariatric nurse agreed that i had shown enough commitment and advised that she would call me with a surgery date within 2 days, so fingers crossed i should have a date by tomorrow, i cant wait.

i hope people see that even when the odds have been stacked against you, you can still acheive your goals and hopefuly it will carry on for me now
well done you for persistence you are well on your way only that fi:)nal hurdle now then its nu life here i come. brill fingrs x :):)

i am quite lucky as i fall under the east of england PCT and they are pretty instant with funding as long as the surgeons agree they take their word for it, well thats according to the guys at homerton anyway

Aw Stuart, what a nightmare you are having, honey :sigh: Hopefully now you have gotten this far, it will be plain sailing for you :) I hope your partner makes a good recovery & your children have 2 happy, healthy parent for a long time to come :):) Welcome, sweetheart xxx :)

Well done for sticking it out and getting the result you wanted. I wish you all the luck in the world with your weight loss journey, and I hope that when you get your date it's not too far away :)

What a difficult journey you have had, thanks for sharing. Fingers crossed for an early date so you too can be the person on the outside that you appear to be on the inside xx

That is absolutely disgraceful.....I hope you get your funding you deserve mate...good luck

Some GPs should not be practicing - I had a similar problem with my old GP, who was very opinionated and blocked everything I tried to get help with, she told me not to be so stupid, and that I didn't have sleep apnoea, she told me I didn't need surgery and because she didn't agree with it she wouldn't refer me, she tried to force me to do a quick fix diet which I found out would have been really bad for me, she refused to test me for thyroid function, and a load of other stuff. I finally left her and signed up with another GP, who referred me for sleep apnoea testing ( I am classed as severe with over 70 apnoeas per hour, and now on CPAP machine treatment under the care of Papworth Hospital) I was sent for blood tests and was found to have hypothyroidism, I was referred to a dietician who then made sure I had ticked all the boxes for surgery, then my GP referred me to L&D where I finally had surgery last year! my new GP was horrified when I told him what diet the old GP told me to do, and told me I should report her to the GMC as she should be struck off! Well done for fighting, it's just sad that so many people probably miss out because they are scared to, or don't know how to fight their corner. Good luck with your journey x

Good luck Stu, hope you dont have to wait too long for your op :) xxx

Good luck Stu, keep us updated on your progress.
Em xxxx

Well done on your perseverance mate & getting so far , fingers x'd all continues positively .
May I suggest you look into changing GP cos you will need their support post op & by the sounds if it your current one is severely lacking in that dept

Some GPs should not be practicing - I had a similar problem with my old GP, who was very opinionated and blocked everything I tried to get help with, she told me not to be so stupid, and that I didn't have sleep apnoea, she told me I didn't need surgery and because she didn't agree with it she wouldn't refer me, she tried to force me to do a quick fix diet which I found out would have been really bad for me, she refused to test me for thyroid function, and a load of other stuff. I finally left her and signed up with another GP, who referred me for sleep apnoea testing ( I am classed as severe with over 70 apnoeas per hour, and now on CPAP machine treatment under the care of Papworth Hospital) I was sent for blood tests and was found to have hypothyroidism, I was referred to a dietician who then made sure I had ticked all the boxes for surgery, then my GP referred me to L&D where I finally had surgery last year! my new GP was horrified when I told him what diet the old GP told me to do, and told me I should report her to the GMC as she should be struck off! Well done for fighting, it's just sad that so many people probably miss out because they are scared to, or don't know how to fight their corner. Good luck with your journey x
i had told my gp about my sleep apnea for a year before he sent me to the chest clinic, the consultant slated him and was appalled i was given a cpap machine same day as i had 58 apnea's in 1 hour and my sats dropped to 63% during sleep, he wrote a complaint as did me endocrine consultant wen after 2 yrs of pushing i finally got diagnosed with diabetes but there was excessive liver infiltration now only fixable by extreme weight loss, he is a real twat and since my complaint to pals he now rings me at home to check on me, wot a loser

HAD A CALL!!!!!!

I had a call today with a POSSIBLE surgery date for the 18th june, i am very excited and a little nervous, its all happening fast now and i am 1 monthe away from dday....

Thats great news hun x

Wooohoooo :D
That's brill news!
Good luck.
Em xxxxx

Yay!!! Congrats!!!

Thats brilliant stu!!! :) xxx

oooooo - so close now. Really pleased for you, it's great news x

Back