• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Next step - approaching the finish line

And not wake up and realise that someone with a BMI above 60 should really be high priority to have the op a.s.a.p. !!!!

Soz am just going to re-iterate this bit (feel free to use it in your complaint letter, if you like, LOL!)

...... and not realise that someone with a BMI above 60 should be high priority to have the op a.s.a.p., before you have a heart attack or other serious health problems crippling you, and making life / exercise / losing weight itself more difficult !!!!

Thanks everyone, but I think PALS are a total waste of time.
I did put in a complaint to PALS around 18 months ago and was told that I just had to "sit back wait and do whatever the consultants asked me to do as they were very busy and thousands of people are waiting for WLS" (as if I didn't already know this).

Also - with regard to my BMI, I worked it out today, when I first started this journey back in 2007, my BMI was around 73 (I have dug out my food diary from that time and I weighed 28 stones and 7 lbs). The start BMI I have on my stats os the BMI I was when I finally got my first appt with the WLS team. SO since the very beginning I have actually managed to reduce my BMI by 10 which I think is bloody brilliant.

Also - with regard to my BMI, I worked it out today, when I first started this journey back in 2007, my BMI was around 73 (I have dug out my food diary from that time and I weighed 28 stones and 7 lbs). The start BMI I have on my stats os the BMI I was when I finally got my first appt with the WLS team. SO since the very beginning I have actually managed to reduce my BMI by 10 which I think is bloody brilliant.

It is, Jamast !!!

They really should give you some kudos for getting it down from 73 to 63. Go and shake that doctor by the scruff of the neck -- that GP sounds useless !!!!!

I am wondering if it is worth sending the letter I have written, straight to the PCT. However, they obviously do not have my medical notes, but surely once they receive the letter they will be able to access whatever they need.
The consultants secretary did ask me to put it all in writing and send the letter to her by next week. My concern is that once the consultant sees that I have included all the 'cock-ups', including hers, that she will not send in an application let alone forward my letter to the PCT. This is why I think that involving my GP and asking him to forward it to the PCT is the next step.

I think that I will also attempt to involve PALS again and see if I get any further now we are 18 months on. It took me over two years and a change of GP to get an initial appt with the WLS team and it has been almost three years and a whole range of constant mistakes, missing apointments, lots medical notes, moved goal posts etc etc since that initial appointment.

I think that's the best way to go. You need as much back up as you can get xx. Also your gp may be useless but they could make it awkward if you point out their shortcomings. Have you thought about seeing your mp. Its not my usual advice but another lady on here did it and got her op. I just wish i could remember her username. Maybe someone else will know xx

I would send it to the consultant and cc it to the PCT, plus any line management you can find for the consultant personally.

I think that's the best way to go. You need as much back up as you can get xx. Also your gp may be useless but they could make it awkward if you point out their shortcomings. Have you thought about seeing your mp. Its not my usual advice but another lady on here did it and got her op. I just wish i could remember her username. Maybe someone else will know xx

It's not my current GP, he's great - it's the flippin consultant who's useless.

I would send it to the consultant and cc it to the PCT, plus any line management you can find for the consultant personally.

Good idea Yvessa. Don't know why I didnt think of that (cc'ing). Thank You x

No worries honey, I am sure you do it automatically at work most of the time and didn't even think of it.

Also would put under your signature the people you have cc'd it to, so the consultant knows.

Well - just spoken to PALS. Just as useless as they were previously. Apparently the PCT won't even read a letter sent directly to them by a patient!! The PALS woman has spoken to her line manager who says I need to write to the consultant and cannot see why I need to point out her shortcomings!!
She just couldn't understand my concern that the Consultant was telling me one thing and then doing something differently; she didn't see a problem with them losing my records as they had found them again; apparently the consultant not making any notes during our conversation at appointments and then a month later look at my records and guess what she had said based on height and weight, shouldnt be an issue. She wasn't happy when I (half jokingly) said that perhaps what I needed to do was record my conversations with the consultant and then match a transcript to any follow up letters.
She is going to call the consultants secretary to ask what she suggests. I said I am happy for her to do this, but as I have already said - it was the secretary's idea to write my flipping letter in the first place - my concern is that it is not going to get to the PCT through the consultant once she reads it.

Sod them all - I am sticking with my plan to ask my GP to write to the consultant and the PCT (plus him send my letter of course).

OH and whilst I am doing my mad, fat woman rant - I googled the consultants name last night to see if I could find any information on her line manager. I did find an article in which she has been involved in the death of a patient at her previous hospital after she hadn't completed his notes and a mistake was made when she was administering some medication to him. Yes, everyone can make a mistake - but she hasn't bloody learned from that one has she - and it's hardly inspiring!!!

Hi,
Sorry your having these problems, I've just been researching and it occurred to me that something I read may be of use to you, it was in relation to appeals against pct decisions. But certainly in terms of who to complain to you may find it useful. The website is www. Wlsinfo.org.Uk/index/applying-for-nhs-funding

Towards the bottom it details appeals.

Xx
W

Hi,
Sorry your having these problems, I've just been researching and it occurred to me that something I read may be of use to you, it was in relation to appeals against pct decisions. But certainly in terms of who to complain to you may find it useful. The website is www. Wlsinfo.org.Uk/index/applying-for-nhs-funding

Towards the bottom it details appeals.

Xx
W

Hi Wobbly. Thanks for the help. Because I have nothing to appeal against I am hitting a brick wall. The PCT will not read anything from a patient who has not yet been referred and patients just get referred back to PALS (as effective as a chocolate fireguard at the moment). Anyway, I've put together two letters. One to the consultant asking her very politely to explain the content of her letter when it is in direct contradiction of our discussion during my last appointment. I have followed her secretaries advice and wrote it from the viewpoint that I understand she is very busy and how difficult it must be to look at a file and remember what was agreed.
The second letter, is for the PCT. I am sending it to the consultants secretary as she asked for it and said she will attach it to the funding application when it is finally done. However, I have CC'd it to the PCT with a cover letter (acting a little 'oblivious to the consultants lack of application) and saying that the letter is to accompany the funding application from Dr (consultants name) that she assured me will be with them this month). I have also CC'd it to my GP - whom I am seeing this friday and will deliver copies of both letters personally.

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I was thinking along the lines of these are the people to complain to about your useless consultant. It mentions PALS, who I know you believe are hopeless, your local MP, the minister for health and the CEO of the PCT. These might be people to think about if your letters don't work.

Xx
W

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I was thinking along the lines of these are the people to complain to about your useless consultant. It mentions PALS, who I know you believe are hopeless, your local MP, the minister for health and the CEO of the PCT. These might be people to think about if your letters don't work.

Xx
W

Sorry it's actually me who wasn't being clear lol. I've been in contact with the people you mention, nothing can be done unless I have gone through the official NHS complaints procedure first - which will be my next step should my letter strategy not work.

Thank You though - I do appreciate your help x

I've sent my letter to the consultant and PCT today and off to take my GP a copy tomorrow

Jamast said:
I've sent my letter to the consultant and PCT today and off to take my GP a copy tomorrow

When I emailed the pct to see if bariatric funding had been applied for, for me I had a really nice reply from them the next day, unfortunately no funding had been applied for but I was happy they had looked for and had replied. Didn't know we weren't supposed to email them!

Just started reading your thread. I'm so sorry to hear your struggle. It's appalling that all PCTs seem to have differences in policy, procedure & criteria.
I'm helping my best friend with her PCT & although there are many agencies such as PALS, Obudsman, MPs etc the very first point you must establish is the policy, procedure & criteria of your specific PCT. if they have not followed this to the letter then you have a valid complaint & will be accountable for it. If not then the complaint will not be upheld. However in the case of my friend when we investigated it fully her PCT had a criteria for a provable weight loss programme attendance in addition to BMI & Comorbities. She hasn't completed this but in fact hasn't actually been offered it. The hospital she is under just applied automatically for her funding & her PCT is out of their area. It is a very complicated route with PCTs having their own systems all over the country. I firmly believe they should all be using the NICE guidelines & we should strt a campaign to pressurise this to be bought in to stop this post code lottery. Good luck with your fight.

Just got back from the GP. He knows this particular consultant and said that although he might appear to be speaking unprofessionally, she is well known for saying one thing and doing the opposite and for tying people up within the system. Thats why he sent me a copy of the letter she had sent to him, as he knew that if there were any discrepancies, I would be on the telephone to sort it and also go to see him (I think he knows me too well lol).
Anyway, he has a copy of the letter I've sent to the consultant and PCT - he is going to follow it up with a letter of his own outlining what he says is a ridiculous amount of time from my first being accepted for the WLS programme and insisting that things are brought to a head and I that I have my answer from the PCT within a month from now. He has asked me to leave it for four weeks and go back to see him when he hopes to have had a positive response.

Last edited:
Back